11. Matrimony ✓

Athelia had never seen a gathering quite like the one set before her. The goddess well accepted the food and the music, and she even found the lack of bare-breasted maidens to be of relief, but it was the ambiance that had set it apart from the celebrations she had attended on Dorian.

     If she had been on Dorian, she would have been jumping tabletops with her sword drawn, reenacting battles for the commoners who had never seen an enemy fall before them. There were no games or fights or tales of war. There was no savagery. No upheaval. There was only the love of friend and family, reunited together in a place where they all called home.

      She watched as Volstagg bounced his small daughter on his knee, taking back his ale and shouting for another. Fandral, her dearest friend, sat nearby with his arms laced around two maidens that she was sure he would be leaving with, and she smiled upon seeing Freya, playing an Asgardian hand-clapping game with another of Volstag's daughters. 

     "How is your ale?" Thor asked, leaning closer and pulling Athelia from her thoughts. It didn't go unnoticed to the prince that she didn't seem to be enjoying herself, but yet she smiled as she tipped the empty cup towards him. "Another?"

     He smiled widely, the effects slowly taking him over, and she laughed softly. "No, thank you."

     Thor laughed. "You don't like it?"

     "No, I like it just fine, Thor, thank you."

     The table shook as Fandral found his way over and leaned up against it. "No need for fiction, Athelia." He chuckled, causing her a slight panic. "You said yourself only weeks ago that our ale tasted of stale water and horse piss."

     Athelia sat back, pushing her dark satin cloak over her shoulders and folded her arms as she eyed the mouthy man. "Your memory is quite sharp for someone who has already downed four tankards." 

     "Four more than you," he taunted, swaying slightly with his mug. "It's truly a shame."

     "Trust me, Fandral, if I had any interest in crawling into bed tonight, I could surely drink you under the table," she told him. Athelia leaned back into her chair, glancing between Thor and Fandral as smirks lined their faces. "What?" 

      Fandral pursed his lips, biting back laughter. "Would you like to play a game?" 

      Athelia shook her head, "not with you," she teased, a genuine smile finally spreading.

     "With Thor then?" 

     Thor eyed her playfully, and before she could object, a tankard of the vial liquid was placed in front of her. Her eyes widened. It was twice the size as before, and Fandral and Thor both smiled down at her as they were each handed their own. "Are you ready?" Athelia smirked.

    They clunked their glasses, and Athelia stood not fully understanding the rules, buts he managed to throw back the glass and smash it down on the table before the boys anyway. Her stomach instantly churned, but she bit back her lip and locked eyes with Freya, who looked up from the small redheaded child she was playing with. Athelia wasn't sure if it was the ale making her eyes weary or Freya was enjoying the sight, but a small smile played across the brunette's face, and it made the moment that more enjoyable. 

    "Thor," Fandral panted, wiping the foam from his lip. "You are the luckiest man in the realm." 

    Athelia stiffened and looked up at her future husband. She wasn't sure why but she had half expected to see him with a drunken grin plastered across his face, but instead, he gave his friend a tight-lipped smile, ignoring Athelia altogether. "Did I do something wrong?"