26. Control

"This is nonsense Mother," Thor seethed as Frigga stepped towards his cell. She had summoned a guard to drop the barrier, but now Thor was standing in the way. "What's to stop him from trying to escape?"

     Frigga looked between her son's, both of whom she had loved more than the air she breathed and sighed heavily. She new Thor would never trust his brother again, but she also knew that Loki was not completely gone and that no matter how hard he tried to hide it, he had a soft spot for the Goddess.

     "I need a moment alone with him," she insisted, nodding towards the towering doors.

     Bronen shook his head. "We do not have time for heartfelt conversations Frigga. The longer we stand her the further away she gets."

     Frigga looked back to Thor, a sour look played on his faced. There were so many things she wanted to say to him that she knew would help sway his heart, but instead she took a deep breath and rested her hand on her son's shoulder.

      "I trust him Thor and if you trust me, you will allow him to help her. I fear it is the only way."

     Thor's gaze fell to Athelia and a pit formed in his stomach. He had couldn't fathom anything happening to her.

     "I'm comdemned to this cell for the rest of my days brother," Loki spoke softly. "You may think me a monster, but I can assure you that I am very aware what will happen if I step out of line."

     Thor tore his eyes away from Athelia as another strand of her pure white hair darkened. He didn't speak, but he waved his hand at the guard who without hesitation lowered the shield.

     Loki took a deep breath of air as he stepped down from his cell. He had been locked away for longer than he cared to count and though the thought of escaping tickled at the back of his mind, the sight of Athelia up close in so much despair kept his feet planted.

    He stepped forward towards her cell, but Thor's hammer quickly hit chest, stopping him in his step. "You hurt her, I will kill you."

     Loki smirked, taking much joy in his anger. "Brother it is as if you actually love her. What would your mortal think of you now?"

      Thor pulled back his hammer and stepped forward as if he was ready to tear his head of and though Loki did not flinch, his mother's glare settled him quickly. Loki smirked, knowing how helpless his brother felt and he turned to Bronen, his smirk falling as he spoke.

     "She will try to kill you," he advised. "The moment you step foot in there you will be fighting for not only her life, but yours."

      "Does this make me the savior of Asgard?" He chuckled, pushing away the ounce of fear that ran through him. "Father would be so proud."

      "That's enough," Frigga warned. "Loki please."

     He eyed his mother. He knew the words she truly wanted to say were locked behind her weary eyes and he nodded, plucking the velvet bag from Bronen's hands. His mind wandered back to the night he held her in his hands. He knew he would have to do it again and the thought of them seeing him in true form set him on edge.

     "Right then," he said clutching the bag tight in his hand. "Shall we begin?"

     "She won't trust you in that form."

     Loki looked as his brother, trying his best to hide the smile that wanted so desperately to anger him. But, he knew if Thor had found out about the time they spent together, he would risk never seeing her again. So even though he knew his form would be the only she trusted, he stepped forward and watched as his dark demeanor transformed.