Chapter 2: Butterflies in my Stomach

🌼

[ Mira Camellia ]

"Mira!" Hana called out to me while I'm eating my lunch. 

"WHUT?(WHAT?!)" I asked in a muffled tone because of a meat bun filled mouth.

Hana burst out laughing. "You're so adorable!" She pinched my full cheeks and laughed harder. "Whut es eth?! (What is it?!)" I asked annoyed at her.

"HAHAHA—Ms. Agui—lera—wants—pffft—HAHAHAHAHA!" Hana said in between her laughs, I chewed my food as fast as I can and immediately swallowed it. "Damn it, Hana! Just say it!" Hana still couldn't stop laughing, I just raised brows, waiting for her to calm down. Finally, she calmed down.

"Ms. Aguilera wants to see you," she laughed again as she saw my rendition from calm to surprised. "Why?" She shrugged. "I don't know...maybe it's about your grades." She guessed, I gulped. "Oh no," I muttered under my breath. I've been really distracted this quarter...just because of what I found out. I forgot a lot of papers and homework's to pass, I'm sure it did a lot to pull down my grades.

"That's cause you've been a space-cadet lately. Sheesh, go there right now." I nodded and walked to the direction of the faculty room, as I go closer and closer to the room, I can feel the butterflies in my stomach grow rampant. Sh*t, I'm nervous. I knocked on the door, and it was opened by Ms. Aguilera.

"Oh, C'me in. I've been waiting for you." I gulped and entered the room. She led me to her desk and showed a piece of paper, the copy of my grades. I was right, they were all low. I couldn't help but cry. "Shush, I know for a bright student like you, this is kinda hard to take in." She comforted me, patting my back and giving me her hanky to wipe my tears. "I noticed lately you've been spacing out a lot in our lessons, or to other teachers when they are in your class. You were strangely quiet, and doesn't seem to listen to them. Tell me, as your adviser, is something wrong?" She asked, concern was written all over her face. I shook my head, answering it with a 'no'. But the truth is, yes, there is something wrong. I have been thinking lately about myself. "Are you sure?" She asked again, this time determined to know the real answer. I smiled thinking how cute she is making that face, I mentally slapped my face. 'You are a fucking girl! Worst, she is your teacher! Control yourself!' I said to myself in my head. "Mira? Please, please let me help you. I know I am not an perfect teacher, but I will do my best to fix whatever is your problem. After all, I am standing as your second-mother right?" That was the hardest slap I've ever received, without the physical action. She just perceives me as her student, worst just a teenager that needs assistance with adults. "Ms. Aguilera, I can understand your concern but please I can't really share what my problem is." I can hear the restrain in my voice. She looked obviously disappointed but she nodded her head understanding my statement. I smiled admiring her for that. "Thank you." I was about to leave but she held my arms. I felt currents of electricity flow throughout my body. I turned to her face. "But please do call me when you need me." She insisted. I just nodded and continue towards the exit.

* * * * *

"Mira..." Just from his voice I immediately knew who he was. I turned around and face him. "Leon?" I asked, why is he here? Isn't he from another school? "What are you doing here?" I asked what was on my mind. He held both of my hands, holding it carefully, like a glass. "Can we talk?" He asked. I laughed silently, "Aren't we talking?" He sighed, putting my joke aside. "Privately," His voice with all seriousness, I nodded and lead him to the garden, our usual hang out spot when he was here. He is a year older than me and he changed school this year, but we are best friends. This is also the place where he confessed to me. I can't help but revisit the memory...

A year ago...

While enjoying the warm sun Leon and I finished our school work on the lunch counter out on the shade. "I really love the sun," Leon commented. I smiled, "I agree with you." I said while doing my calculus worksheet. I may be an honor student but I still struggle with math. It's my least favorite subject. I scrunched my face as I look at last problem. "I don't get it," I whispered to myself but somehow Leon caught it. "Let me see," he said and grabbed my worksheet. He stared at it and snapped his fingers, indicating he gets it. I chuckled, "As expected of the mathematician." Then the chuckle turned into a loud laugh. "Yeah, yeah. Now let me teach you." I listened intently to him, somehow I understood it. "Wow, how come I understand this much easier?" I commented, he patted my head. "Maybe, you don't like the teacher that much." I thought about it and slowly nodded. "Yeah, because that teacher is a bitch." Leon laughed. "Watch your mouth," I just laughed together with him. Then, the school bell rang and I grabbed my worksheets. I dashed through the hallways. Why did they put the seniors room over there?!

Thankfully, I just went there on time. The teacher was just about to reach the room but I was faster. I sat down immediately and fixed my hair. 'Just in time' I said to myself. But, shit, it's History, my second least favorite subject. I hope I won't fall asleep.

~

Well, I fell asleep and now I'm in detention. I looked over to my right and saw Raphael, a close friend of Leon. "Oh, Mira! What're you doing here?" He asked in such a funny accent, from his gesture and facial expressions I immediately knew who he was impersonating. I laughed hard. He's such a clown. "Teacher caught me sleeping." He looked surprised. "Wow, never thought an honor student also fall asleep in class." He commented bewildered. I just chuckled. "Yeah, we're not saints you know." I don't know what's with these assumptions to us honor students. He smiled. "Glad to know. I thought you were an uptight fellow. That's why I'm really in awe when I found out when you and Leon are best friends. You know, he's a very rowdy dude. That's why the teacher's dislikes him. But now I know. You're just like us, just a genius." He laughed. "But you can never deny his mastery in..."

"Math," we both said and unison, and further laughed out loud. "Shush," The teacher in charge, both look towards our direction. "One hour more!" We sighed and stayed quiet in this boring room.

~

Finally, we're out of that hell. "So, want to grab a drink?" He invited. I gladly accepted it, specially when it's StarBucks. Of course, it's my favorite cafe. I never thought Raphael would be such a great company, but now I know why Leon is close with this guy. He's so fun to be with. As we go out of the coffee shop, I couldn't but laugh hard on his stories about Leon, I know there were some added exaggeration. Then, we saw the devil, Leon. "Oh, speak of the devil!" Raphael greeted him. Leon's face couldn't paint his emotions, it was blank. "Oh, is something wrong man?" He shook his head. "Nah, it's nothing." He forced a smile. Raphael just left it, but I was kinda concerned. So, I walked beside him and nudged his sides. "Really?" I whispered, I looked towards his brown eyes. He smiled, now this was genuine. "Yeah, don't mind it." He messed up my hair and walked a bit faster to lead us back to the campus. Then, Raphael and Leon talked in private for a bit. I wanna join them, but they won't let me. It's just so unfair. "Sure, man!" I heard what Raphael said. Then he smiled at me devilishly, mouthing 'Have fun!'. I looked at him confused.

"Mira!" Leon called and I immediately walked towards his direction. "What is it?" I asked, he just smiled. He dragged me to the garden. It was filled with fairy lights. It was a fascinating sight. "Wow," I muttered under my breath. "Ya' like it?" I nodded, he smiled and held my hands. "Mira, I have something to tell you." I gulped, the butterflies in my stomach were acting up. "What is it?" I asked, nervously. I am afraid. Shit, what is this feeling?

"I like you," Then, the butterflies in my stomach just grew rampant.

~

Hi! How're you? With the threat of new virus, CoVid-19. I want y'all to be safe and please wash your hands. Stay Safe guys, loveyah!