i'm not a princess

≫ 10 ≪

It had been two weeks since Mike met El. Two weeks since he had met this incredible girl who had set up camp in his mind and hasn't left since. The two had been spending as much of their time together as possible. Most of their days were spent at the beach or doing whatever random things they managed to get themselves into. Some days they didn't even have to really do anything, just as long as they were together.

Mike soon realized that his job and volunteering were taking away time that he could be spending with El, making him want to just abandon all his responsibilities. He couldn't help but feel that way. The more time he spent with her, the more he couldn't stand to be away from her. Being with her made him feel like he was in a constant state of bliss, like he was on top of the world and nothing could bring him down.

Mike's parents were going to be gone for the day, so he invited El over to swim in his pool. It hadn't gotten much use in awhile, so he figured they could spend their day here, instead of going to the beach like usual. It would be a nice change, getting to have the water to themselves, instead of sharing it with a bunch of strangers. Plus, Mike got to be alone with El and he'd take that over a public beach any day.

Since this was the first time El had been to his house, she was completely in awe of just how massive it was. As soon as they'd arrived, he showed her around the place. She insisted he give her a more in-depth tour of his bedroom, instead of just a glance around like he did with the rest of the house.

He told her the back stories of some of the random things scattered throughout his room. He told her about all the time he spent as a child with his grandpa, which led to his love for marine biology. He shared memories captured in some of his photos, including the time in seventh grade when he skateboarded off the roof of his house and somehow only managed to get a broken leg. The picture showed a younger Mike, putting his cast covered leg on show for the world to see. El felt her heart grow warmer as she learned more about Mike and his life. She also now had plenty of stories to tease him with in the future.

After showing El enough to satisfy her curiosity, he made them a quick lunch and then led her outside, where they made themselves comfortable around the pool.

Mike currently found himself lying next to El, as always, trying not to stare. He simply couldn't help it, she's just too pretty for him not to want to look at her all the time. He was lying on his side, a content smile never leaving his face as her watched her. She would look over at him every now and then, with a smug grin on her face, finding his gawking to be somewhat flattering.

"You know, at first I thought you'd be rich. Then I officially met you and thought, no way this guy is rich. Now that I know you are, in fact, loaded, I'm kinda surprised." El admitted, breaking their comfortable silence.

"What made you think I was rich?" Mike questioned, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"For starters, Stacey was all over you that day at the beach and I've been around plenty of rich girls like her to know that she wouldn't even look at you if you didn't have as much money as her. The way Troy talked about you also kinda added to my suspicions. It just made sense that a guy like him would hate someone because they have money."

"Well, what changed your mind? What made you think I wasn't rich?" He asked, curious to know what went on in that beautiful head of hers.

"Rich people are just so snobby and arrogant. You're like the exact opposite of that. You also said your dad owned a freaking break shop. How was I supposed to know you meant a whole chain of them, not just one?" El gave him a pointed look, pushing her sunglasses to the top of her head.