mtw + ejh

≫ 12 ≪

It was a gorgeous Sunday. The weather was as perfect as it could get, like most days. The sun was out and shining bright, a light breeze blowing every now and then, and the temperature was just right. It was an ideal day for residents of Wrightsville Beach to spend outdoors, soaking up as much summer sun as they could.

For Mike, it was a great day to play some beach volleyball. For El, it was a great day to watch Mike play some beach volleyball.  From what he'd told her, this game was supposed to be really important for them, especially for Lucas. This game would determine whether they would get the chance to play in the finals, happening in a couple of weeks. As for Lucas, he was looking to get some recognition from some college reps after playing in this game. He was hoping to earn a scholarship or even just a recommendation if he played well enough. El, being from New York, was a bit surprised to learn that beach volleyball was such a huge college sport in these places.

"I'm surprised you showed up." Lucas snapped, not even looking at Mike as he joined him on their side of the court.

"Lucas, seriously? Will you stop being a dick? I can't believe you're pissed because I can't spend every second of the day with you. I have a life too you know and I'm not going to apologize for finally finding someone I want to be with."

No way Mike was going to apologize for that. They were about to go off to separate colleges and start their lives. Lucas had to get used to being on his own at some point. Mike also knew that if Lucas had managed to find someone he wanted around for more than just sex, he wouldn't think twice about ditching Mike for her. So he really didn't want to hear it. 

"Just keep your head in the game, we can't lose this one. My future depends on it." Lucas said, roughly shoving the volleyball in Mike's hands.

"Relax! These guys haven't won a game all year!"

"If you play the way you have been, then they just might. Your lack of focus will be our downfall." Lucas griped, his face full of frustration.

"My lack of focus? I am focused!!" Mike argued.

"Yeah, focused on that chick from the Lost Boys."

"El. Her name is El, which I've told you multiple times now." Mike rolled his eyes, not understanding why Lucas couldn't just use her name for once. He was acting like she wasn't worthy of literally the two seconds of his time that it took to say her name.

"Whatever, man. I'm just saying, ever since you met her, you haven't been yourself."

"What are you talking about?"

"Literally right after that little milkshake incident happened, you missed half the digs in that game. And that day she just disappeared during practice, you couldn't even pay attention long enough to serve the ball correctly. Your mind seems to only be on one thing lately and that isn't gonna work for me."

"Are you done?" Mike snapped, really not in the mood to listen to anymore of this.

Lucas's jarring gaze didn't falter, until he finally gave in, somewhat nodding his head.

"Good, now shut the hell up with your whining and let's just win this." Mike encouraged, shoving the ball back in Lucas's hands.

In the stands, El was keeping an eye out for her dad and Sara. They were meeting her there to watch the game and she was doing everything she could to keep their seats saved. There were way more people here than she expected there to be. Every time someone would try and sit down next to her, she had to politely inform them the seats were taken, earning her several dirty looks.