he's gone

≫ 19 ≪

Forty five-days.

That's all the time El got with her dad from the day she found out he was dying to the moment she lost him for good.

The doctors had said two months, yet she was given less. She thought she had more time. She desperately needed that time, but it had unfortunately run out.

She didn't know what to do in that moment. She knew it was coming, but now that it was finally here, it was like everything froze in place. Her whole body went numb and she felt like she couldn't breathe.

This can't be happening. It wasn't supposed to happen yet. I wasn't ready. I needed more time with him.

The only thing she wanted in that moment was for someone to hold her, to assure her that she'd be okay, that no matter how lost she felt, everything would be okay in the end.

Looking at her dad once more, lying lifelessly on the chair, she didn't just want that comfort, she needed it. She needed someone right now. Otherwise, she may not survive this.

She stumbled back in the house, searching for her cell phone. After finally finding it, she snatched it up in her hand, shakily calling the one person who could help her through this.

The sound of the person picking up on the other end of the phone barely registered in her ringing ears, but her cries served as a sign that she was there. 

"El? What's wrong??" His voice was full of sheer panic.

"He's gone Mike. He's gone and I-" Her sobbing broke though, preventing her from saying anything else that could be understood.

"I'll be right there okay? Just hold on, El! I'm on my way!"

Mike found her on the living room floor, like her legs had completely given out on her and wherever she landed was where she stayed. Her eyes were red, the tears still spilling heavily from them. She was staring off into space, with the most heartbreaking look on her face.

"El." He rushed over to where she was, kneeling down beside her. Her sobs grew heavier when she noticed his presence. "Shh, I'm here, I'm here now. You're going to be okay." He quietly comforted her, pulling her into his arms. She clung to him like her own life depended on it.

Mike held her in his arms, only leaving her for a moment, to call 911. She didn't say a word the entire time, but there was nothing she could say. She had just lost her dad forever and words couldn't express how that felt for her.

The paramedics shortly arrived to take Jim's body away. El didn't handle that too well, not wanting him to be gone, even though he already was. Mike did his best to hold her, no matter how frantically she fought against him.

After he managed to calm her down, Mike led El to her room, insisting she lay down. She needed to rest. Her incessant crying was going to make her sick and he knew that she hadn't been getting enough sleep. He was sure that wouldn't change much given the devastating loss she will have to cope with, but right now there wasn't much else she could do.

He sat down on the bed beside her, while tucking her in tight. Her crying had ceased for the moment, but she was still sniffling. He pushed her loose hair behind her ear, softly trailing a finger over her cheek.
The way she looked up at him gave him the worst feeling he had ever experienced. She looked so broken. He wanted nothing more than to fix her right up, but he knew this wouldn't be an easy thing to fix. And he didn't know if he could even fix it for her.