no joke

≫ 18 ≪

El had officially passed the two week mark since her breakup with Mike.

Two weeks since she had last spoken to or seen him. If you had asked her a month ago if the situation she was in now were possible, she would have thought you were joking.

Unfortunately, this was no joke. This was the real deal and man, did it suck. She felt like an absolute fool for thinking one week away from him was bad. Two weeks was far worse.

She missed Mike, more than words could even begin to describe. Every day his absence grew more and more palpable. She hated the way it made her feel. She was supposed to be mad at him. After what he did, she shouldn't want a thing to do with him.

Too bad it wasn't that easy.

At this point, she missed him enough to cry, well more like wail over it. She refused to let herself give in to her emotions at first, but lately it was out of her control. At night, when sleep would so rudely be the farthest thing from her mind, is when she would let it all out. She'd get all of her frustrations out, more heavy tears spilling than she'd like to admit. If her face wasn't so forcefully pressed into her pillow, her dad would probably be woken up every single night.

The days were a little bit easier for her, because she wasn't alone then. She had her dad and spending time with him helped take her mind away from Mike. Besides, being with Jim was far more important usage of her time than stewing over her failed relationship. 

Sometimes though, nothing seemed to distract her and Mike was there, taunting her with his pretty face and kind words.

There were a few times she wanted to call him, just to hear his voice.

But she didn't.

There were a few times she wanted to go by the aquarium or his dad's shop, just to hopefully catch of glimpse of him, even just a glimpse of his hair.

But she didn't.

She didn't do any of those things, because if she did, she knew she'd never be able to turn back. She would fall right back under his spell and that couldn't happen.

Hoping to find another form of distraction for part of her day, El decided to take a trip to the grocery store. They were running low on all the essentials: bread, milk, toilet paper, those kinds of things. It was time to stock up and El was happy to do it (and kind of had to, given her dad's current state.)

She sluggishly pushed the shopping cart down the pasta aisle, intently searching for the kind she needed. She was so focused on the noodles, she walked right past a familiar face.

"El??"

El stopped the cart's movements, turning back to see who had spoken to her.

"Nancy? Hi." She smiled courteously, moving back down the aisle, so she could speak to her. Nancy also came closer, immediately pulling her into a tight hug. It took El a bit by surprise, but she hugged the girl back anyway.

"It's so good to see you!" Nancy exclaimed, as she pulled away from her.

"Likewise! How's married life treating you?"

"Well, I'm out buying groceries to make a superb dinner tonight, so it's treating me as well as it can be!" Nancy looked so thrilled, until her mood shifted. She now looked at El with so much pity in her eyes. Please don't ask. Please don't ask. "How are you doing?"

Damn it, she asked.

El sighed. Nancy knew that they had broken up, so no point in trying to put up a front. "I've been better."