2 | Itachi Leaves Me To Die

That same night all of us that hadn't died, hit the road to extract revenge for our fallen comrades. At least that's what Papa said we were doing. I personally think he just wants more bloodshed.

The road we are taking leads all the way to the samurai's camp sight. Once we get there we are to lay low and wait until just before dawn. That is the precise time we will attack. Catching the samurai off guard is the best tactic we have since we are outnumbered ten to five.

We didn't burn down the camp, Mama decided that the smoke would just panic our enemies and put them on edge. Instead the camp was left stripped bare as if we hadn't ever lived there.

Mama is a very trusted woman here. She acts as our nurse as well as a Wise Woman that we all come to if there is a problem to which we know no answer.

Dororo slept in my arms unrestfully. Her pinched facial expression makes me smile. Her head lolled on my shoulder drooling a river on me.

It being past Dororo's bedtime Mama and I took turns holding her while she slept. Dororo isn't a baby anymore either, she's just almost too heavy to carry.

"Shh.." I hushed the men who were chatting boisterously. Jerking my head to the sleeping child. They understood and backed off from me. The bandit's have great respect for their leader and so they also gave the same respect to his wife and children.

I held the warm body closer to me. Landing a kiss on her sleeping head. Something Dororo didn't like too much when she was awake.

A rare smile creeped up on my lips. In this moment I feel happy and content. For bandits, living in the moment is important. We could all die today after all. This battle against the samurai that I'm walking to could possibly be my last.

"This place will be a battle field soon." Someone muttered behind me. I yelped, surprised by the voice, it was so close to my ear. Dororo mumbled in her sleep. Something along the lines of "fight me, coward".

Itachi's elbow bumped my shoulder, none too nicely, and with one hand he motioned I follow him to the back of the procession.

I inclined my head to Dororo and mouthed 'no'.

Itachi nodded his head 'yes' and jerked his hand to Mama.

Rolling my eyes I carefully handed my little sister over to Mama who asked no questions. Dororo barely woke up.

I allowed myself to slow my pace until we were the last two at the back of the crowd. As soon as Itachi was sure no one was listening and quite a distance away he started talking.

"That's one nasty beating you got, broke some bones? You're walking funny." He pointed out my obvious impairment. He's always being a jerk to me.

"It's none of your business, Itachi. What do you want? To gloat to me like I'm your underling? Get over yourself." I hissed his name like is was poison on my tongue. I'm already regretting this conversation with the narc.

"Now now, I actually plan on helping your situation. So have an open mind, okay?" Itachi uses the voice he always uses to get on someone's good side. It's sickly sweet and disgusting.

"My situation?"

"Yes, please try to keep up." The deathly thin man then covered his mouth and spoke in an even lower tone. I had to lean in to hear what he was saying.

"How would you like it if I told you there's a way to eat wonderful food everyday and be safe and sound, no more beatings again. You'd like that right? I can get it for you...and Dororo." Itachi whispered. His fingers twitched around a stray strand of string from his clothing.