Chapter 27

June 21, NHL Entry Draft

I walked close to Jack, clinging to his shoulder trying not to lose him in the sea of people. We were walking with his family, Mrs. King, and Sophie, and we were trying to get to the seats. Thankfully, people recognized Jack, and they immediately parted to make way for him, though not before asking for a couple autographs. 

I didn't mind the autographs at all. In fact, I even talked to some of the fans myself. Jack smiled when he saw me doing this, but before he could say anything, a voice blared out over the loudspeaker, stating that the event would be starting soon.

We forced our way through to some seats, and we sat down, Jack on my left, Quinn on my right.

A group of people walked onstage, and Talked for a while, thanking a bunch of people, and wishing all the best to the prospects.

After what seemed like an eternity, they announced that the actual draft would start now, and that it was the Canucks pick. The general manager of the Canucks walked on to the stage, greeted by cheers, and a few boos. The Canucks fanbase was a bit harsh, but he had made a couple questionable decisions over the past few years...

I was snapped out of my reverie by Benning's voice, amplified by the microphone.

"Vancouver selects... from the USNTDP... Jack Hughes." 

The arena erupted in cheers, from either supportive family members, or ecstatic Canucks fans.  

Jack got out of his seat, hugging us all one by one. Unfortunately, we had to remain professional, as this event was public and televised, unlike the lottery. He hugged me last, but held on the longest, whispering a quick and fleeting "I love you" as he did so.

He walked up to the stage, and shook the management team's hands.

When I saw him pull the Canucks jersey over his head, his face flushed with emotion, my heart filled with pride, and my eyes with tears. I clapped enthusiastically, along with everyone else, and I saw his eyes skimming the crowd. When they landed on my, his grin grew wider, and I quickly waved back at him.

After The Draft

I was walking around, trying to make the time go by faster. Jack was in an exclusive room, taking the traditional draft day photos.

Just as I was trying to judge how much longer he would be, I felt my feet leave the ground.

I shrieked, and Jack spun me around, laughing. He put me back down, planting a kiss on my hair. Before I could congratualte him, or tell him how proud I was though. He spun me around. "Close your eyes." He whispered. I obliged, and immediately felt his soft hands tickle the back of my neck. "Okay, open them." He told me. I did spinning around in the process. I looked down at my chest and gasped.

It was a necklace. A shiny, breathtaking, silver piece, with two heart entwined, bound together by an infinity symbol, all strung on a thin, delicate silver chain.

 A shiny, breathtaking, silver piece, with two heart entwined, bound together by an infinity symbol, all strung on a thin, delicate silver chain

I looked up at him, sppechless. He grinned, looking slightly embarrassed. "W-what is this for?" I asked.

"Today marks a year since the first day we met." He told me. "When I found you, lost, in Toronto. Amy... that was the best day of my life, because if it hadn't happened, we wouldn't have happened. I never would have met you, and my left would have been utterly pointless." 

I couldn't help but laugh. "Your life? Pointless? I'm sorry do you know who you are?" I asked disbelievingly.

He laughed. "Yes, I do, thanks, but I needed this, I needed someone... I needed you. Someone to talk to, someone to confide in, a shoulder to cry on. And you gave me it all. So... thanks." He finished awkwardly. Before he had time to feel embarrassed though, I flung myself at him, and he engulfed me in his arms.

"Thank you so much." I whispered.

"No." He said. "Thank you. You gave me more than I could ever ask for, and a necklace isn't nearly enough to repay you."

I smiled, thinking about how lucky I was to have him in my life.

A.N - Phew, its done! I've had so much fun writing this book, and I really appreciate all the support I've gotten, especially with this being my first story. I couldn't have done it without you guys, pushing me and motivating me to be better. It really means a lot.

P.S - my next story is going to be an Elias Pettersson fanfic, at the request of my friend, canucksfangirl

If you guys have any requests, feel free to message me, and I'll make 'em happen.

-CanucksFanFics