Cobalt and Moonlight

Dean's POV -

He spins around to face me, a wild, frightened look in his eyes, and I feel bad for surprising him. There's long moment where neither of us says anything. We just stand there, starting at each other. His eyes are so blue. Clear like water, but deeper and far more piercing. Like cobalt crystals in the sun- no, moonlight... They're cool and enchanting like moonlight, not harsh like the sun.

He shakes his head a little, then looks at me again, speaking. He has such a low, rich voice and makes my skin tingle and my heart rate increases noticeably. I ignore it. 'What is wrong with you today?' I ask myself.

"Sorry. I was just moving." He sounds so shy and swamped by it all I can't help but want to hug- help him.

"No. I-" I wince when my voice comes out all funny, clearing my throat. "I was wondering if you needed any help. This is my second year, I know the drill."

He blushes, I don't understand why, but it's there, pink burning his cheeks and nose. I can feel my own ears getting hot...

Castiel's POV -

Damn it stop. Stop blushing like an idiot.

I look up again into his eyes. They're so fresh and enchanting, a bright emerald green stares back at me and I know my cheeks are getting darker. So I look down at my feet.

"I think I'm in your year..." I fidget from foot to foot. This is no time to be feeling like this. A new school. This is a time for clean and academic thoughts. Not thoughts about how sweet his lips look when they curl up like that. I don't know him from Adam.

But he is smiling, "Oh, I assumed because I hadn't seen you before that... You're in my year, are you?" He puts an arm over my shoulder and guides me with him, my neck tingling where his soft, leather jacket brushes against it. "You can stick with me then. You look a little like you need a friend, if you don't know anyone..."

Dean's POV -

My arm took in his warmth where it was rested across his shoulders. We went over to the desk and they checked us off the list. His name was Castiel Novak and I couldn't stop my mind from telling me I liked his name. Then they sent us to the next stop, a boy in his last year. When we reached him, he laughed.

"How's it going, baby brother?" He looked down at Castiel, grinning. I knew this boy. Gabriel, the most famous and beloved class clown to ever pass through this school. Everyone knew him. So Castiel was his brother? I never would have guessed, their personalities seeming so different...

Castiel mumbles something, Gabriel smirking then looking down at his sheet.

"I see you've made a friend- ah here, dormitory 13 - what's your name?" He looks over the chart at me now and I look back.

"Dean Winchester." I swear I see the corners of his mouth twitch up, and he looks back down.

"Look after my baby bro, y'hear. You're in 13 too." My neck tingles, so I, as casually as I can, flip my collar up to hide the definite embarrassment. Why? Why am I blushing so much?

Castiel's POV -

He pulled his collar up, rubbing his hand over the back of his head. I watched as he scrunched his nose up and looked quite uncomfortable.

"Do you know where you're going?" I look away from Dean quickly.

"Yes." He says, then looks at me. "C'mon Cas, we have to unpack before we are called to get our timetables." And he heads off towards a door that ascends instantly into a tight, very cosy staircase. This whole place seemed to have very open rooms with thin, squashed corridors, like they didn't want to waste space on hallways.

"See you later little brother."

"Bye, Gabe." And I trail after Dean, still lugging my case awkwardly, embarrassed by now weak I must appear.

I was right. The corridor was very cosy. Dean had waited for me to catch up and now he looks down at me a few stairs below him, struggling to get my bag up after me.

"Here." He leans around me, his neck right next to my nose. He smells sweet and musky all at once, like honey and aged leather, and lilies and old books... He takes my bags strap in his hand, a couple of his fingers on top of mine.

He'd been moving with some urgency but at the contact he hesitates, curling his fingers tightly around the strap but letting mine linger there. There's a long moment like this, he turns his head down a little and catches my eye with his green ones, not moving back. My heart hammers on my chest, the noise from the hall blocked out.

It's excruciating...