Oreo

Castiel's POV -

It's beautiful up here. I sink down against the slate, back pressed to the wall behind me, looking over the gardens and beyond. The fairy lights twinkle and shimmer, the lanterns strung up delicately, giving the place an enchanting, fairytale charm.

I take it in, reaching into the pocket of my hoodie and pulling out the little package of burger and chips. I know fine well I'll probably just pick at it, not eating much and losing most of it on the ground below me. Absently pulling apart the food Dean had wrapped up for me, I barely realise till it's practically all gone, left nibbling on a chip.

"God, I hope you ate some of that." I whip my head to the side to see Dean a short distance away, leaning out the window, smirking as he plays with the strings on his own hoodie, looking straight at me. After I glance at him, I turn my attention back out onto the perfect, wavering bushes, trees and flowers.

"Maybe... What's it to you?" I know I'm being short but he doesn't know. He won't ever get it. There's scuffling then somebody's shoulder presses against mine.

"Y'know, it actually means quite a lot." There's a nudge and a half laugh. "You've grown on me, Cas, and I'd like to get to know you better..." I look back at him and he's watching me carefully in a measured, controlled way that tells me he's holding back emotions. His lips are so full, one pinched just between his teeth, gently and perfectly. "I don't want you to go wasting away on me, do I. So you should eat..."

An Oreo is put in my lap and I smile, taking it to nibble on now.

"That's my boy..." Dean sighs and shuffles an almost unnoticeably tiny but closer to me. He smells so sweet and gorgeous I have to fight not to bury my face in his neck right here, right now...

Dean's POV -

I tuck my arm around him. I couldn't tell you why, it just sort of happened, and now it would be more awkward to take it away again. So, instead, I give him a squeeze and lean closer against him, desperately trying to not think about the dream I just woke up from. But his eyes are shining, just like I'd expect them to in a situation like this. And he's so warm.

It's a hot night, clammy but with a chilling breeze. We sit, side by side, in silence, for a while. I just stare out at the trees, the occasional glance over at him, trying to guess what he's thinking. I can't think of anything.

"You never said why you missed your first year... Is it something you're okay talking about, or would you prefer me to leave. Because I'd love to be here for you."

I'm getting sappy. Damn it.

But he just nods, slowly at first, then more noticing. I also notice his hand on his leg, which is right next to mine, three of the fingers already resting on me. Electricity and harmony. This is what I want.

"Yes. Yes... You should know. Before you get used to me, you should understand that I'm... What I am. And that my family is... Well..." He's willing his eyes straight ahead, it sounds so serious that I sink lower and watch him as he straightens himself and his hair.

"You ready for this, Dean? Because I don't want to lose the best friend I've ever had..." Best friend he's ever had. Something about that makes me hotter and I just feel sorry for him... And myself.

"I'm ready. I promise to have an open mind." I say, angling my body more towards him to hear him better as he prepares to speak...

"Well... Last year was hard... Very hard..."

"Oh...?"

"Yes... My dad left for a long while. And it just got more difficult from there..."

He looks so scared, I wish I could hold onto his hand...