ride

"Why are you wearing sunglasses?" 

It was, as usual, the middle of the night when we agreed to meet. I was waiting on the ground, running my hands through the neatly trimmed grass until she appeared at her balcony above. She was dressed in all black, head to toe, and had stuck a pair of sunglasses on her face. I chuckled at her as she spun her head around, checking for any signs of her parents, as if they'd just appear out of nowhere to catch her. 

"You look like professor Snape," I teased, pointing out her dark attire. 

"Shut up!" She hushed me, glancing at her sides. "It's my disguise! I absolutely cannot get caught doing this." She stuck her head over her rail, leaning over slightly and speaking softly to me on the ground. 

"Okay, well, hurry up and get down here, slowpoke." Her expression dropped when she realized what I was suggesting. She scanned her eyes over my location, observing the distance between herself and the ground. 

"You expect me to climb down there?!" She hissed. I may not have been able to see her eyes through those glasses, but I imagine them to have been wide and alert like an owl. "I don't think I should do this anymore..."

"Oh come on, just try to climb down. I'll be right here to catch you if you fall, I promise," I said. She shut her eyes for a moment, taking in a deep, shaky breath before clambering over the railing. I stood below her and watched as she held tight to the nearest pole. Suddenly, her hands slipped, and with a surprised yelp, she fell right on top of me. 

"Ouch."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," She squeaked, scrambling off my body.

"No worries," I said as I got up and led her to where I had kept my motorbike. She followed silently, close behind. I noticed that her sunglasses were nowhere to be seen, they must've fallen off somewhere, but I decided not to point this out to her. It gave me the opportunity to see her whole face and beautiful bright eyes in their full glory. 

"I hope this doesn't sound weird or anything but you're actually really ripped," she said. 

"Why, thank you," I grinned, flexing my bicep and kissing it to tease her. She rolled her eyes at my actions and beckoned me to start up the engine. "Here, put this on." I handed her my helmet and she gladly took it. 

"What about yours?" She asked, tightly buckling the straps under her chin.

"I don't need one. Now, get on." She followed my instructions and carefully stepped on. Her eyes gleamed with anticipation and excitement, but at the same time her brows were turned down with nervousness. She gasped loudly as I took off into the street. 

We rode for a couple of minutes, and I took notice of how she sat with quite some space between our bodies. She leaned back, away from me, as if she wasn't quite sure how close she should be getting. Her hands grasped at the back of my shirt, desperately holding on for some stability.  When we arrived at the next stop light, I took her hands and pulled her arms closer to my body, forcing her to wrap her arms around my waist. 

"Just so you don't fall," I said and continued on our way. 

I could feel the fast pace of her heartbeat against my back, and the warmth she gave off in contrast with the cool wind rushing past us. "Woah," I heard her whisper, her voice softer than usual as she looked around in amazement. More than anything, I wish I could turn around to see her reaction. I drove on contently. We didn't share a single word with each other, because nothing could describe the bliss of this moment. The air was fresh and lively, the city lights glowed brighter than most nights, illuminating her beauty, and nothing else mattered but the euphoria of each other's company.