sick

I took a sharp breath of air only to be met with, well, not taking in any oxygen at all as my nose was so clogged. I heaved through my mouth and air entered my lungs, but not after drying out my lips and turning my mouth into a desert. I coughed but immediately regretted it since the back of my throat practically tore open and caused the soreness to worsen. It felt as though Satan had shrunken himself and chose to take a trip down my esophagus whilst stroking my throat with little needles. So as you can imagine, being sick is surely a good time.

I was home alone, not even bothering to go to school, as I rolled myself into my blanket like a burrito, trying to seek warmth. I had long ago abandoned the book I was reading since my migraine didn't allow me to process anything anyway. Although I was freezing just earlier, I found myself sweating and heating up under all my blankets after a few minutes. It felt like if I stayed under them any longer, I'd bake myself into a hot potato. Desperately, I threw all of the covers off of me and laid sprawled on my bed. But still, I felt too hot. Since when did my bedroom become a savanna?

I practically flung myself onto the floor with what little energy I had in me, smiling with satisfaction as the cool, carpeted ground made contact with my skin. Sickness and migraine aside, I was also incredibly bored. My phone had died and I was too lazy to venture downstairs to get a charger.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. I groaned and picked myself up on my feet and trudged downstairs. Upon answering the door, my mood immediately lightened. She was standing there in a light pink sweater, her small fingers playing with the hem of her sleeves. She smiled, melting my heart.

"Hi," She said. "You look absolutely horrid."

"Well thanks, is that all you came here to say?" I pretended to to be offended and pouted.

She giggled softly, using her hand to cover up her smile. My melted heart evaporated. "Sorry, I just came to check on you. You weren't at school and didn't answer any of my calls and texts, so I just wanted to make sure you weren't assassinated or anything."

"Nope, haven't been murdered yet. My phone just died and I'm super sick."

Her expression quickly switched to being worried. She leaned closer to me and placed the back of her hand on my forehead, but instantly retracted it. "Geez, you're burning up with a crazy fever. Where are your parents?"

"At work still," I answered.

"Well you're lucky I decided to drop by. Why are you even still standing here? Go rest," She ordered as she pushed pass me and entered my house. "I hope you don't mind me coming in because I'm coming in."

I chuckled. "Of course you can, but you probably don't want to stay for too long in case I'm contagious or something." I went back to my room, expecting her to be behind me, but when I turned around she had disappeared. A minute later, she rushed in with a wet towel.

"Lay down," she said, her voice laced with kindness and care. I did and she carefully placed the towel on my forehead. "Oh! I just had a brilliant idea! Would you like to hear it? Well, it doesn't matter if you want to or not because you will be experiencing the benefits of my brilliant idea in a few moments." She then abruptly ran out of my room, leaving me in confusion and laughter.

I felt myself drifting off to sleep when she finally came back, a bowl of soup and a spoon in her hand. "Soo, your kitchen didn't have all the ingredients to make my mom's specialty soup, but I did the best I could."

"I didn't know you could cook! That's pretty neat."

"Yeah, my mom teaches me a lot about cooking so I'm pretty good at it if I do say so myself." She smiled proudly. Can she stop smiling so much? I thought. I don't know if my heart can handle this feeling anymore.

I tried smelling the soup before tasting it, it looked delicious, but the stuffiness of my nose prevented that from happening. I brought the spoon to my mouth, blowing on it gently, and took a bite. Or would it be more of a sip because it's soup? A slurp? Anyway, I 'consumed' it. To be honest, it tasted like water. Maybe it was actually flavorless, or maybe my clogged nose stopped my taste buds from working. I scrunched my nose up in confusion. "Are you sure you know how to cook?" I teased her.

"Okay, in my defense, your house didn't have like any of the things I needed, and I only know how to make one type of soup. But I swear I can make other stuff too!" she insisted.

She ended up staying over for the rest of the day, taking care of my fever and helping out with any schoolwork I missed.

Each time she changed out the towel on my head for a cooler one, her soft fingers would brush against my skin and send shivers all over me. Each time she checked my temperature with the back of her hand, I felt sparks from the contact. Each time she explained a new problem for me to study on, her voice soothed my headache. Each time she leaned closer to me, even just the slightest bit, I could feel butterflies tickling my insides.

Maybe I'm just going crazy, or maybe I might have fallen deeper in love than I had expected.

"Crap, I should probably go home now. My parents are gonna kill me for being out so late," she said, standing up and straightening out her sweater. I noticed a tiny stain on it that she most likely got from making my soup. "See ya later, Changbinnie." She waved goodbye and quickly scurried away before I could properly thank her.

.

my stomach was making strange noises the whole time I was writing this and I COULD NOT focus lol