Chapter 4

March 2, 1940

"Wake up, wake up, wake up! I want to get there when it opens!"

I flicker my eyelids open to find Macy jumping on my bed.

"It doesn't open for another two hours," I say as I roll over and pull the pillow over my head.

She rips it off. "But we need to get ready! And I'm too excited to go back to sleep."

Letting out a groan, I pull myself out of bed. Macy cheers and runs back to her room.

I meander across the room to my armoire and pull out a white blouse, a gray sweater, and a skirt. I'm pushing my hair back with a thick red headband when Macy bursts through my door once more to ask me if I could braid her hair. I manage to tie the single French braid that trails over her shoulder before she bolts out of my room and down the stairs.

Following her path to the kitchen, I find my parents sitting at the table with a pot of coffee already made. I pour myself a cup before sitting down with them.

"Happy birthday, dear!" My mother exclaims.

My father picks Macy up and swings her around. "Happy Birthday, sweet girl!"

"What do you want for breakfast?" My mother dotes on Macy.

I then remember what was promised to me yesterday. A plan forms in my head. "You know, I was thinking that we could grab something to eat on the way to the park."

My mother looks surprised at this, but she nods her head and asks my sister if that is fine.

"That sounds good to me," Macy says, eyeing me suspiciously.

I wasn't going to lie to myself. I really wanted to see Jacob Koenig again. When I told Frances and Eva what had happened at the bakery, they were ecstatic. They kept asking me questions about him, but I didn't have any answers since we had just met. This was the perfect opportunity not only to see him again, but I could also disguise it as treating my sister for her birthday.

I pull on my navy blue peacoat and a bright blue scarf before pushing Macy out the door. We walk a few blocks before arriving at the storefront of Twin Treats. My sister immediately gets excited when she realizes where we are going.

"Wait, are you serious? I love this place!"

I wink at her. "I have a promise to cash in."

The bell rings as we walk in the door like it did yesterday. I'm slightly relieved when it's Jacob that walks out from the back and not his father. He looks surprised to see me at first, but his surprise morphs into delight. His green eyes twinkle, and his dimples appear when a smile forms on his lips. My heart flutters in my chest.

"Ana, hi! What are you doing here?"

"I think you promised me some sweets after almost giving me a concussion with a door yesterday." I walk up to the counter and lean forward on it.

He runs a hand through his thick curls in embarrassment. "Ah, right. I'm still really sorry about that. Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine. My headache cleared up yesterday," I clarify.

His shoulders sag in relief. He gestures towards my sister. "Who's this?"

"This is my little sister, Macy."

My sister straightens her posture and proclaims, "I'm actually fourteen, though. Today's my birthday!"

Jacob smiles and leans forward on the counter. "Well, happy birthday! You know, we have a secret special where you get a free treat when it's your birthday." He winks at her.