xxi. OMIKRON

MARCH 22,      2018.
LONDON, England

Seven days after coming to the hospital, Adrian had been given a release date. March 25, quite earlier than they had initially thought.
   Externally, he was doing quite well. He was fatigued, but his seizures had eased. His blood work was still rough, and it was likely he would be requiring out-of-hospital treatment through til early April.
  Adrian had woken up to a note that said Ben wouldn't be coming in til tomorrow. The note said he had told Adrian yesterday. Adrian had forgotten; he was still rather spacey.
   "Oh, you're awake!" Adrian's nurse quietly bustled in to take vitals. She made conversation whilst she did this. "How are you feeling, love?
   "Tired."
   She took his blood pressure. "You're fingers are a bit blue. Do you have trouble with your circulation."
   "If I sit idle for too long. Or if I'm cold. Or upset."
   The nurse laughed. "Okay, darl. I'll get someone to bring an extra blanket and a cup of tea."
   "Thanks," said Adrian, thinking wistfully of the plastic tea cups he had been using for the past week.
   "Did you want me to bring that gift basket over?"
   Adrian's eyes followed the nurses. He hadn't notice a gift basket. He nodded his head in reply, a little confused.
The nurse left to collect a blanket and cup of tea, then helped Adrian sit up so he could unwrap the basket. She caught a glimpse of the card which said who it was from, and pursed her lips; smiling. She left the room nodding, almost to say 'well done'.
The card was was written on in scratchy black hand writing.

Adrian—
I'm sorry to hear you're unwell. I hope it's okay I sent this, I thought you might need it.
All the love. H

Adrian bit his lip, his face a mix of a frown and a smile. He placed the card on the table next to him. The first two things that caught his eye was a succulent, and a teddy bear. Adrian smiled widely as he put the succulent next to his tea cup. He put the pink bear (that had a tag 'Made in Holland') underneath his arm.
   There was was a plethora of candy and chocolate piled in the basket—Belgium chocolate, caramels, and hard lollies. He put a caramel in his mouth, smiling giddily. There was still a large canvas bag left, but he first rustled through the candy to see if there was anything else. His hand caught on something. It was a white wristband that had 'raise boys and girls the same' in red embroidered. A paper note was attached, 'please give this to Adrian!'. Adrian concluded a fan had probably threw it onstage. The twenty-one year old couldn't contain his happiness; he had been low for a while. The last object was the canvas bag. It was large, and also had a note attached.

   This seems really narcissistic, to send you a bag full of my own merchandise... But we always carry a few of each products to every show, and I didn't know what to do with them. There's a couple limited edition things, as well as some of the Pride shirts that haven't been released yet.

   Adrian didn't care if it was narcissistic, he loved merch, and was particularly fond of Harry's, although he didn't own any of it. There were a number of shirts and sweaters, dining 'Treat People With Kindness' or floral bath water. There was a few packs of hair bands, and a drink bottle. Adrian smiled when he found the pride shirt, and went to put it on, but knew he'd have to wait until he was detached from all his tubes. The last items were a CD, cassette, and vinyl. Adrian quickly opened the vinyl with anticipation. It was white.
   Adrian had seen Harry's white vinyl all over aesthetic tumblrs, and had even gone to buy one, the previous year. They had sold out extremely quickly though. Feeling the vinyl felt ethereal, like when a fan meets their idol. But Adrian had already met Harry, and now Harry Styles, mysterious pop star turned rock saviour, was sending him get well gifts. He didn't know if Harry did this with everyone, or if Adrian was special, but it didn't matter. He was just glad to have such a nice person in his life, period.
He only then had the curious thought of how Harry knew Adrian was unwell. So, for the first time in a week, Adrian reached for his phone.
He read through the messages, feeling guilty he hadn't been around to answer in real time. He hovered over the message that said Harry wished to call him. With numb fingers, Adrian replied.

!!

MESSAGE

adrian
[adrian ingham]

I've just received your gift, and cannot thank you enough. I'd love to call you to properly send thanks. Is there a time that suits best for you.

harry styles
[harry styles]

I'm so glad you're well enough for a chat, Adrian. Does tomorrow work for a call? H

adrian
[adrian ingham]

Absolutely, but you're very busy, so please please please don't feel pressure to.

harry styles
[harry styles]

You've come to be a friend I value immensely, Adrian. One I'd like to know better. I'm not feeling any pressure! I call tomorrow. H x

!!!

i'm going to start going back and editing this shit show