| 17 |

BRENDON and Steve walked down to meet Howard at eight o'clock the next morning

BRENDON and Steve walked down to meet Howard at eight o'clock the next morning. The two split up, Brendon wanting to get a cup of coffee before the meeting with Howard.

Brendon was filling up his cup when a hand grabbed his arm. He spilt some coffee causing him to become flustered. The hand continued to pull him away from the coffee pots making Brendon place the cup down. He looked over to see Peggy pulling him away.

"A-Agent Carter." He stuttered.

"Any idea where Steve is?" She asked.

"Waiting for Howard." Brendon responded shaking his arm to get her hand off. She muttered a small 'sorry' and released her hand.

The two walked together to Colonel's office. However, they both froze when they came across Steve kissing a women. Brendon bit his lip trying to suppress a laugh. Steve looked so awkward it was a challenge not to laugh. He looked over to Peggy and watched her take a slow, deep breath that showed her annoyance.

Brendon coughed as Peggy shouted, "Captain!" Steve pulled away and whipped his lips causing Brendon to chuckle. "We're ready for you, if you're not otherwise occupied." Peggy said turning on her heel.

"Agent Carter, wait!" Steve called running after Peggy. Brendon nodded his head and followed the two.

"Looks like finding your partner wasn't so hard after all." She replied sarcastically. Brendon chuckled as he watched Steve fluster over what to say.

"Peggy that's not what you thought it was." Steve countered whipping his lips again. He looked down to his tie and sighed before starting to fix it.

"I don't think anything, Captain, not one thing." Peggy insured. "You always wanted to be a soldier and now you are, just like all the rest."

"Well what about you and Stark?" Steve asked. "How do I know you two haven't been. . . fon-fonduing."

Peggy looked back to him giving him the 'seriously' look. She rolled her eyes and turned around. "You still don't know a bloody thing about women." She said walking out of the room. Steve looked to Brendon for help.

"Y'know I should be asking if you and Howard have been 'fonduing' or whatever you call it." Brendon teased.

"Donnie." Steve whined as Brendon chuckled.

"Fondue is cheese and bread, ask Howard he'll agree." Brendon informed.

___

"Like Brendon said, fondue is just cheese and bread." Howard said leading Steve and Brendon into the lab.

"Really?" Steve asked.

"Yes." Brendon said before Steve could continue.

"Anyway, carbon polymer." Howard said pointing at some cloth. "Should withstand your average German bayonet. Although Hydra's not going to attack you with a pocket knife."

"Howard if Hydra attack's either of us with a pocket knife you owe me fifty dollars." Brendon said looking at the cloth. Howard chuckled and shook his head.

"Deal." He said before tapping the Captain America shield. "I hear you're uh. . . Kinda attached."

"If it weren't the understatement of the year." Brendon said sarcastically raising his hands and looking to the ceiling.

"It's handier than you might think." Steve said glaring at Brendon.

"I took the liberty of coming up with some options." Howard said gesturing to a bunch of shields. "This one's fun. She's been fitted with electrical relays. It'll allow you to—"

"What about this one?" Steve asked interrupting Howard and picking up a circular silver shield.

"No! No! That's just a prototype." Howard frantically said.

"What's it made of?"

"Vibranium." Howard mumbled. "It's stronger than steel and a third of the weight. It's completely vibration absorbent."

"How come it's not a standard issue?" Brendon asked tapping the shield.

"That's the rarest metal on earth. What you're holding there? That's all we've got." Howard said.

"You quite finished, Mr. Stark? I'm sure the Captain has some unfinished business." Peggy asked causing Brendon to let out a chuckle.

Steve held up his shield. "What do you think?" He asked. Peggy picked up a gun and sent three bullets at the shield.

"Yes. I think it works." She replied placing the gun down before walking out of the lab. The three men looked at her in shock as she walked out.

"I—" Steve started.

"We." Brendon insisted.

"Sorry— We, had some ideas about the uniforms." Steve mumbled handing Howard a piece of paper.

"Whatever you want, pals." Howard mumbled.