| 24 |

1989SEVENTY-TWO year old Brendon Stark sat in his private jet awaiting landing

1989
SEVENTY-TWO year old Brendon Stark sat in his private jet awaiting landing. He was going back to New York after checking up on an old friend at the Air Force academy in California. He kept checking his phone after every sip of his cool vodka, that was having no effect but a slight burn down his throat. He kept hoping it would alert him of a call from one of two people.

One being, his four year old daughter who was home with his wife, whom he didn't love. It was no lie to her either. Dolores Stark wasn't in love with Brendon either. Both of them were forced to marry each other and her grandparents kept making it clear at 'family' diners that they wanted great-grandchildren soon. So, Dollie convinced Brendon to try.

Needless to say, his little ball of joy named Jamison was the light of his world. Whenever coming home he looked forward to having her jump into his arms her tiny hands emitting sparks that showed how happy she truly was.

She was born with the same DNA that was changed by the H.Y.D.R.A. scientist meaning she can also form fire. When Brendon found out he started training her right away, much to Dollie's dismay. But he had to be sure the young girl wouldn't cause damage to anything.

The other person was a young lady named Maria, she was one of the people he had met with at the academy. Two people took a test flight and he wanted to know how it turned out.

"Mr. Stark," A voice called.

"Yes?" Brendon called out.

"We landed." The man responded.

"Oh." Brendon sighed. "Alright. Let me grab my things and I'll be gone." With that Brendon collected his bag and made his way off the plane toward a car that would drive him home to his little Jamie.

Brendon did wonder, however, if the young girl was training. He had her signed up for programs at S.H.I.E.L.D. to help her learn to fight. Dollie hated it but Brendon wanted the young girl to be able to look after herself. Plus, the girl enjoyed the classes. He always told her if she didn't like doing something she needed to speak her mind. She didn't want to do something, she didn't have to do it.

Of course, there was a fine line to draw. She had to do school work. But after school activities or programs Brendon signed her up for were all her choice.

What Brendon found funny, though, was that Dollie tried putting Jamie in ballet, the more 'feminine' activity. And boy did Jamie hate it. Surprisingly, it wasn't the class she hated but the other kids in the class. According to the young girl the other girls in the class were 'to kind and preppy and to girly girly.' Dollie was furious with the response but agreed to take Jamie out.

When Brendon entered his home he was surprised Jamie wasn't there to greet him. There was a small pain in his chest but he continued walking in. He placed his bags down in the foyer of his home and continued walking. He walked into the living room and noticed a grumpy looking Tony who's face lit up upon seeing Brendon.

"Dad!" A voice screeched. Brendon looked around the living room for Jamie.

"Little Phoenix!" Brendon called back once he found her. Jamie ran up to him and wrapped her small arms around his neck. He lifted her up with ease and spun around. Jamie let out a joyful screech. "How's my little Phoenix doing?"

"Good!" She cheered. "Aunt Peggy has been teaching me."

"She has now?" Brendon asked walking further in the house. The girl nodded. "How's mom been?"

"Alright. She's been inviting a bunch of friends over or she goes out with them leaving me with Anthony." The girl explained. Brendon chuckled at her pronunciation of 'Anthony.' She pronounced it slowly as if trying to learn how to say it. Ant-tho-ne.

"Has Tony been treating you well?" Brendon asked looked over at Tony who sent a small smile.

"Yup!" She cheered in response. Brendon made his way into the kitchen before setting Jamie on the counter. She smiled to herself and watched as her father grabbed a bottle of beer and a small box of juice. Brendon handed the juice box to Jamie before picking her up and carrying her to the kitchen table.

It was his promise to his daughter that after every trip he took he would sit down with her and talk about what they did turning their time away from one another.

"Daddy?" She asked as Brendon took a sip of his beer.

"Hm?"

"How come when you drink a lot of those bottles you are still nice and can walk straight but when mommy drinks a lot of them she loses balance and gets mean?" The young girl asked. Brendon froze and stared blankly at the bottle in his hand.

"That's a story for another day, Jamie." Brendon stated briefly. Jamie pouted but nodded in acceptance. "Hey Tony?" Brendon called suddenly. He noticed that Jamie flinched as he raised his voice.

"Yes?" Tony asked weakly entering the kitchen.

"Grab a drink and sit down." Brendon offered waving his hand at the fridge.

"Avunculus, dad wouldn't approve of me drinking." Tony stated his brows furrowing together.

"He's not here, I'm letting you have one." Brendon said. Tony smirked and nodded opening the fridge.

"Thanks Donnie." Tony thanked opening the bottle. Brendon nodded.

"Don't tell Uncle Howie." Brendon told Jamie pointing at her. She nodded and pretended to zip her lips.

"Where did you go?" Tony asked Brendon.

"California, I had to do something for S.H.I.E.L.D." Brendon explained. Tony nodded.

"Did you see Mr. Mercury again?" Jamie piped up. Brendon's cheeks tinted pink.

"No, I'm afraid Mr. Mercury is sick right now, he's to weak to be in public right now." Brendon told his daughter. She let out a huff and nodded. From afar Brendon could hear the door open and giggling echoed through the home. "Tony could you stay here with Jamie?" Tony nodded and Brendon got up.

He walked back into the foyer meeting Dollie and another women who was lightly kissing her neck.

"Ahem." Brendon coughed. The two women split apart.

"Brendon!" Dollie exclaimed. "Y-your back."

"Yes, didn't you get my call?" Brendon asked. Dollie avoided eye contact. "Howard and Maria are coming over in an hour. I'd get cleaned up." Brendon grumbled walking away.

He wasn't upset Dollie was technically cheating on him, he was upset she was willingly to do it while Jamie was home. Brendon would gladly get a divorce with her, but that would leave a legal debate over who had custody over Jamie. Brendon didn't want her to go through that.

"Mommy is home?" Jamie asked when Brendon walked into the kitchen. He nodded.

"She's busy right now though."

"She's always busy." The young girl grumbled.

"I know how that feels." Tony mumbled back.

"I think we all do." Brendon sighed looking at his nephew and daughter.