Chapter 18- Troubles

Hey everyone!

First of all, I  really want to thank  Ylouise  for the awesome Trailer she made for this story.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

 Next,

As always,
Hope you enjoy this chapter. :) 

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Chapter 18- Troubles

                                                  Nathaniel

“Why the heck are you wearing mismatched socks?” Dell asked Kate who was currently sporting a green sock on one foot and a blue on the other.

Kate shrugged her shoulders and replied, “It's in.” To which Diana rolled her eyes.

I looked around the group gathered near the lake, my eyes searching for Clea. I couldn't spot her anywhere so I stuck next to Alex. When there's Alex, there's always Aria and where there's Aria, Clea is soon to follow. At least that's what I kept telling myself while I tried my best to ignore the couple's 'oh we are so in love that nothing else matters' session. It wasn't working so far. My ignoring that is.

“Hey Sally.” Jack greeted her shyly, to which he was awarded a small smile.

I frowned and looked at Diana who was doing her best to ignore Sally and Jack. Not that she needed to, they weren't paying her any attention.

“So...Um.. Wassup?” Jack asked her coolly, his head held high like a stud. Wassup? When did Jack start talking like that!? Then I suddenly realized it. I stifled back a laugh. Jack was trying to follow Dell's advice of acting cool in front of the ladies.

“Hey Jackass!” Dell yelled at him, ruining the act Jack was trying to put up in the process, “Didn't you bake anything today.”

Jack glared at Dell, looking like he was ready to rip out his throat. Sally looked away, trying to hide her smile.

“As a matter of fact I did!” Jack said through his teeth. He then turned to Sally. Pulling out a small box from his backpack, he offered it to her with a smile, “This is for you Sally. Your favorite.” Sally blushed and took it from him, her eyes glued to her shoes.

Dell and I shared a look that said, Didn't he like Diana?

I looked over at Diana, who was flirting with a guy from the swimming team. Just for a second I saw her eyes move to Sally and Jack, and a flicker of sadness crossed her features. But she quickly returned to her snobby airs and I wondered if I had imagined that look of sadness.

“Hey guys.” Clea suddenly greeted us, her features flushed. Aria and Alex quickly took a step away from each other and greeted her. Was I imagining it or was Clea not making eye contact with me?

No, I was sure about it. Clea was ignoring me.

Each time I tried to talk to her, she struck up a conversation with someone else or when our eyes met, she quickly looked away. I frowned and got annoyed with her. What was with these girls? One minute they are best friends with you and the next they act like you're a total stranger to them. I was really getting tired of this attitude. I mean, what did I do wrong? I thought back to the previous day, nope, we had hardly seen each other until supper time. And we had made up the day before that. So why the heck was Clea ignoring me now?

Did something happen yesterday?

 Or did something happen before she reached here?

Without thinking, I reached out and grabbed hold of her arm. I pulled her to face me and asked, “Clea, are you ignoring me?”

She looked absolutely startled by my gesture and question. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened in protest.

“No... Of course not. Why would I do that?” She said hastily.  Pulling her arm out of my grasp, she turned her face away from me.

I frowned, not believing her for a second.

“Dell, Nath, Jack and Alex... Come with me.” Adrian called us, holding a clipboard in his hand.  He was smiling at Clea but when I turned to look at her, she wasn't looking at Adrian. Well, well, I'm not the only one she's ignoring. I thought to myself. I didn't know whether to feel pleased or worried. I looked at Adrian, he was frowning at Clea's apparent lack of response.