~ Good News, Bad Talks ~

Pov Beca

- Yeah, okay. Thursday at 9:00 a.m., at the station. See you soon, Mr. Pitt.

In less than a week I have to be at the police station to be able to depose about Sabrina's case. And almost certainly Chloe will be there too. I really didn't want such a situation right now, when I should just focus on my career and make sure to not disappoint my producers, the label managers, and especially myself. A positive note is that I was able to play my song in the studio, and since their reaction, I could understand that I started on the right foot. They were pleasantly surprised by what I composed by myself, and from that moment on,we didn't stop for a sec in order to arrange it in the best possible way, add the secondary voices and better define the bass and the sound.

- Becs, there's someone we need to introduce you to.

- Uhm-ah sure. Coming.

I go back to the studio following Ester who came to call me, I was out on the small terrace on our floor.  I left for a moment to answer to Inspector Pitt, and I didn't want them to hear anything. I have nothing to hide, but I want to avoid mixing my private life with my working life. As long as I can.

- Beca, these hotheads were tormenting me, they couldn't wait to meet you.

I giggle a bit when I see Joe's exasperated face and notice how the studio suddenly filled up with new faces, which were not there until 3 minutes ago.  And now who are these nerds?

- Um uh...  I don't want to sound unkind, but what are they doing here, what for?

- Wow hey, how to hurt your feelings, pt. 1. Maybe we shouldn't have gotten so psyched to meet you if you start treating us like that.

I hear one of the guys giggling and walk towards me, while I look at him with a perplexing air not understanding who he is. What's going on?

- I'm Tom, by the way. And the weirdos back here are Ducky - we call him that because of his laughter, you'll understand - then there's Sam, Dustin and the lulu down there is Alex. No offense Sam, you're beautiful too.

I don't know what to call my expression right now. I am surprised, yes, but also amused because these guys seem really so odd, the typical losers who are at the last step of the social ladder. Practically my peers. Everybody has been smiling at me since I entered the studio, it's almost annoying. They should stop staring at me.

- Um, nice to meet you. I am B-

- Beca fucking Mitchell!

- The Big BM, we know you. We've been following you since you got to LA and started packing the coolest clubs in town.

My eyes widen excessively and I fleer for their antics. That can't be true. I turn to Joe and Ester to see if they're serious, and apparently they are.  Both of them are holding back from laughing, it's almost like being in front of a group of excited fans, who meet their idol for the first time. Maybe that's how it really is?

- O-okay. I'm flattered. But, uh... My question always remains the same.

- Becs, the guys here will be with you for the rest of your career with us, and maybe even afterwards. You don't think the songs are played by themselves, do you?

- You know, Mitchy, I thought you were more perceptive.

Okay, the guy's getting too big. What the hell kind of name is Mitchy?

- Slow down, dude. We haven't gotten that far yet. And especially Mitchy is the ugliest nickname they've ever given me. Save it.

I see Tom raises both hands as a sign of surrender and takes a step back. Maybe I was a little abrupt but I don't know exactly how to behave when I meet new people. I'm a disaster in social relationships, usually Blake takes care of these things for work and well... Before Blake there was... Chloe. She was the extrovert between us, she had no problem having conversations and establishing relationships with people perfectly unknown, met by chance. Most of the time I remained silent and played the part of the grumpy, distant, who doesn't want to make friends with anyone because "I'm such a badass and I don't need anyone", but actually it was just because I didn't know and don't know how to do it. I'm very suspicious, I realize that. It takes me a lifetime to make myself really known and I am quite selective. And I don't hide the fact that meeting new people makes me a little anxious. You know, making bad figures, giving a bad impression. Thinking about, it is exactly what always happens, maybe I should work on it. I should ask Blake to help me, if I were to continue being a bitch to anyone who approaches me at work, I would probably ruin everything before my career even begins.