12: Wizard's Duel

~ e d i t e d ~

A few weeks passed and Harry and Anna were finally settling into the magical school. Their classes were going decently well, and they were much better at magic than they expected, especially with no background...especially Anna.

Speaking of the girl, she had gone to breakfast early by herself. She never was one to wake up early, but after Hermione lectured her on the importance of being on time and filled with breakfast - which she insisted was the most important meal of the day - Anna began to realize that she performed much better in her classes after following the girl's advice.

Hermione was attempting to make friends, and while Anna was very outgoing, she decided to give her some space. If anyone needed friends, it was Hermione.

So, Anna was one of the few students sat at the Gryffindor table, eating her toast and eggs while reading over her Defense Against the Dark Arts textbook. She felt like she needed to study up on it as much as possible...Quirrell was...interesting.

The girl continuously wonder who gave him the qualification to become a teacher.

They should've been fired.

It wasn't even the stutter, the man had no knowledge of the topic. Not only that, but his severe anxiety was contagious and he couldn't keep focused. The only thing she learned was that he fought vampires and hags, yet he ran into trouble. She also learned that he got his turban from an African prince after dealing with a zombie.

Older students recounted their time with Quirrel, as he used to be the Muggle Studies teacher. They said he used to be sharp as a tack and only a tad timid.

She drew the conclusion that the man was intelligent but he went through some traumatic experience that hindered his ability to teach.

Anna felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around to see Draco Malfoy. "Oh, hey Draco."

"Hi Anna," he said with a smile, "finally without your 'friends'?"

"I decided to get up early...so, do you need something?"

"Erm, no, just came to talk," he said shyly.

"Why don't you sit then?"

"Oh, um, I can't...I'm in Slytherin. If my father hears about-"

Anna gave a laugh, grabbing the boy's arm and pulling him down next to her on the bench. "Screw your father! I mean, not literally. But really, you shouldn't care about what he thinks. Maybe if you let go of him you'd be a more decent person-"

"I am bloody decent!" exclaimed Draco, causing the girl to laugh even more.

"So everyone else is the problem?"

"Yes!"

She shook her head. "I doubt it. It's so weird that we're cousins...we're nothing alike."

"I'm sure we have something in common," said Draco as he thought for a few seconds. He ended up shaking his head. "Nevermind. You're a blood-traitor, a Gryffindor, and you couldn't see the right sort if it slapped you across the face."

"I'll slap you across the face," grumbled the girl. "My friends are great. Yours...well, they're just your bodyguards, really. But if you're happy that's all that matters."

"Happiness," Draco smirked, "you sound like a Hufflepuff."

"That would've been my second choice. I've heard they have their dorms right by the kitchens!"

The boy just laughed, taking a strip of bacon off the girl's plate to eat. "Anyway, what are you reading?"

"The Defence Against the Dark Arts textbook. Quirrell isn't really much help, honestly."