13: Troll in the Dungeons

~e d i t e d~

A few weeks had passed and Anna was beginning to feel at home. After Ron offered to take her in, and it being confirmed by a lovely letter from Molly, she felt at ease. Quidditch and classes were great too. Anna had a natural knack for magic. It came so easy to her.

Like it flowed through her darkened veins...but that's a silly though, right?

Anna and Hermione were currently walking on the grounds to dinner. They decided to take the scenic route, going outside to admire the beautiful landscape. The air was just cold enough to cause a slight chill, but the crisp autumn smells and sights were worth it.

"I'm so happy it's Halloween, Hermione!" exclaimed Anna with glee.

"I wanted to dress up...we should've!"

"Oh, and what would you have gone as?"

Hermione tapped a finger to her chin. "Hmm...I'm not sure...oh, maybe Matilda! I love that book."

"Well, it's too late now. Maybe next year. For now...bring on the candy!" said Anna, throwing her arms in the air. Hermione giggled and linked arms with her.

They were skipping together happily until they heard a familiar voice...Ronald Weasley.

"Hermione's a nightmare, honestly! Bloody know-it-all...watch, she'll find a way to ruin today too. If I have to hear her annoying voice during the feast I'm...well, I don't know what I'll do, but I won't be happy about it!"

The bushy-haired girl's eyes met Anna's, welling with tears as her lips quivered. "I-Is that what everyone thinks of me?"

"Hermione...hey, wait!" shouted Anna as the girl barreled away, brushing Ron's shoulder on the way.

Harry and Ron turned around to look at Anna. Her grey eyes were ablaze, irises tinted with crimson. "Hey, Anna-"

"Don't even try to defend yourself!" she growled, her face inches from Ron's quivering one. "You. Are. Foul! You should be ashamed...oh, what your mother would say if she knew what you were!"

"What am I, hm?"

"A big bully with a loud mouth!" she exclaimed. "You haven't even tried to get to know her!"

Harry stepped forward, lightly grabbing Anna's arm. "Hey, Anna, he was just talking, it didn't mean anything-"

Anna scoffed. "Oh, so you're defending bullies now? I guess you weren't bullied for long enough yourself. I'll be sure to let Dudley know!"

"Come on-"

"Screw you guys, I'm getting Hermione. I expect an apology from both of you to her later!"

With that, Anna jogged inside. She tried to think...where did Hermione go?

'The bathroom, of course. That's where everyone cries for some reason.'

When she walked into the girls' restroom, she heard sniffling followed by sobs. Hermione was in a stall with the door closed.

"Hey 'Mione-"

"Don't," she choked. "You're just pretending to be my friend. You don't have to, I get it."

"Hey," said Anna softly, leaning against the stall. "I definitely am not pretending to be your friend! Boys are just immature, they don't know beauty and intelligence when they see it."

"Oh, I'm not-"

"Stop, you're everything good in this world put into one person," Anna said sternly. "And to answer your question earlier...no, that's not what everyone thinks about you. All of the professors admire you...well, maybe not Snape but whatever. I really think you're cool. I wish I were as smart as you. You know...I used to be bullied."