VII

Kat woke up naked wrapped up in someone's arms. Though it wasn't a first for her, it had been a while and in a severely different context.
She carefully disentangles herself from Remus and stood up. She summoned her clothes with a flick of her fingers and pulled them on.
She looked back to make sure Remus was still asleep and holy gods this boy was beautiful.
She had to force herself to look away before she looked at something he might not want her to see.
She inspected all of her scratches and cuts and then began walking back to school. She only took 3 steps before turning around and grabbing a stick and writing in the dirt. "Jeez this boy is going to be the death of me," she mumbled then headed to the hospital wing.
"Poppy can we hurry this up I don't want Remus to see me," Kat huffed as madam Pomfrey cleaned the student's cuts.
"Don't rush me!" Madam Pomfrey said,"worrying about Remus is give me high blood pressure and now I got to worry about you too."
"You know I can take care of myself right?"
"Of course I do. But I promised your father I'd watch out for you."
Kat sighed and let Poppy continue her work.
"Ok you're all done," Poppy said after she finished taping the gauze in place over the wound on Kat's neck. "I want you to take this gauze off after lunch to let it breathe."
" yes ma'am," Kat said starting to get up.
The door to the hospital wing creaked open and Kat and Poppy shared a wide eyed look. Poppy quickly closed the curtain around Kat's bed. Kat quickly mumbled a spell in order to block her scent and laid back in bed.
Remus stumbled into the hospital.
"Remus!" Poppy greeted,"good morning."
"Morning Poppy," Remus sighed.
"Take a seat. Let me get you looked at," Poppy said.
Remus did as he was told, eyeing the only closed curtain in the room. "Who is that?" Remus asked shrugging in the direction of the curtain.
Kat held her hand over her mouth trying to quiet her breathing.
"A 1st year came down with chicken pocks last night," Poppy explained,"she's resting."
Remus could tell she was lying, by how her heart rate sped up.
"I'll be right back I'm going to grab more antibiotics from my office."
As Poppy left Remus stood and reached for the curtain to pull it open.
Kat's heart rate went wild.
Remus's hand gripped the curtain.
"Mr. Remus!" Poppy snapped before he got the chance to pull the curtain back. Remus retreated back to the bed with a scowl from Poppy. "If I catch you at that curtain again Imma beat you boy."
She turned back and went into her office.
"I know you're there," Remus said so quietly only Kat's werewolf hearing could pick it up. "Why don't you want me to know who you are?" He asked sadly. When he got no reply he sighed. "...Please," he begged.
Kat sighed and wiped a tear that slipped down her cheek. Then she did something she never thought she would: she stood up.
Remus watched as two school issued shoes, that every girl wore, planted themselves on the floor. They didn't move so Remus stood up and walked over to the curtain placing them toe to toe. Remus took a deep breath through his nose, trying to pick up a scent. Either the other person didn't have one or they were using magic to mask it. Remus saw a hand push the curtain out to him. Not enough to reveal them to each other but enough to let Remus know they were listening. Remus placed his hand on her's.
Kat's hand was so small compared to Remus's. She sighed.
Remus slowly moved him hand to the edge of the curtain. He grabbed it but then a small hand from the other side of the curtain stoped him from pulling it aside. Her nailed were caked with mud and her fingers shook. Remus got the message: no opening the curtain. Remus moves his fingers so Kat's were laced between his.
"Please just tell me your name," Remus begged.
The fact that she wouldn't respond told Remus that he already knew her because if she did speak he would recognize her voice.
Remus huffed, he was annoyed. Why wouldn't she just tell him?
He snatched his hand away and grabbed the curtain again.
"Please," a soft voice sounded making Remus pause. He had definitely heard that voice before but he could not place it.
Kat was so scared. She wanted Remus to know, of course she did. But she wasn't ready to share every little piece of herself with him yet.
"Remus?" Poppy called and Remus returned to his spot on the other bed before poppy came out of her office.
He watched his mate's feet disappear as she returned to her bed.
"I'll find you," Remus promised.
When Poppy was done cleaning his wounds Remus left for breakfast.
Kat groaned and flung open the curtain. "That was a close one Poppy."
"Tell me about it," the older woman said pulling out her wand. She cast a few spells and Kat was clean and in her school uniform.
"Thanks Poppy you're a star," Kat exclaimed then headed to the dining hall.
As she entered she sat next to Lilly.
"Kat, you're back!" She exclaimed and hugged Kat.
Kat has to hold in a groan of pain,"yeah I just had some family stuff to sort out. It's all good now though."
"That's good to hear. Remus was going crazy without you here," Lilly winks at Kat suggestively.
The mail comes and Kat's brown townie owl lands in front of her with a letter. She tucks it in her cloak for safe keeping and decides she'll read it later.
Remus didn't say anything at breakfast or in potions, their first class.
Remus's mate's voice played on repeat in his head in all day.
Please. Please. Please.
That one word over and over again; it was driving Remus crazy.
He scanned all his classmate's necks to see if they had traces of scratches there, where he knew his mate had been injured.
By last class Kat had run out of parchment and McGonagall had just assigned a essay. She turned around to Remus who sat behind her," Hey, can I borrow some spare parchment please?"