04. sweet potatoes glazed on plate

"I'm coming over since you haven't finished unpacking yet," Mom said, over the phone.

"But, I'm busy today," I sighed, glaring at my unopened boxes. If only Anna would understand how long it took it unpack, she probably wouldn't have given me the project to do within two weeks.

"You can set your busy work aside for tomorrow," she replied. "I'm coming over. I'll see you soon, Aera."

I groaned before hanging up and deciding to call Yugyeom. "Hey, newbie," I said. "Can you try talking to the chef today? Without me?"

"Why?"

"I can't go in today. My mom is forcing me to finish unpacking by tonight," I spoke, as I continued unpacking.

"Aren't you old enough to not listen to your mom now?" He asked and I sighed.

"My mom is scary," I replied. "Scarier than me. You don't want to get her mad. Plus, as a newbie, you should start learning how to do interviews by yourself. This is great practice."

"Okay, I'll try then," he mumbled and I smiled, before thanking him and hanging up.

At least I won't be seeing Jungkook today.

A while later, I opened the door for my mom who rushed in, knowingly excited to help me unpack because apparently, she loves unpacking and decorating houses.

"Mom, I'm missing a days worth of work because of you," I whined, not wanting to unpack.

"Shut up," she groaned, opening a box. "You're 25, stop acting like you're still 17,"

I rolled my eyes before opening a new, unpacked box. "Are you still in contact with Taehyung?" She asked suddenly whilst I grabbed my books out of my box.

"No," I replied, a bit too quiet. Kim Taehyung was my ex-best friend. If I had to be honest though, I actually missed having him around. Except that wouldn't be happening anymore. Since I cut him out of my life.

"Oh," she said as I walked to my desk. "What about Jungkook?"

I swallowed as a book slipped out of my grip whilst I stared blankly at my mom. "W-what? Jungkook? No, I haven't seen or heard about him in years," I awkwardly chuckled, bending down to pick up my opened book on the floor.

I arched a brow, my heart leaping as I began to have remembrances of the use of this notebook. It was the book I used to save the roses Jungkook gave me back in high school.

For whatever reason, I even laminated them.

"What are you staring so hard at?" My mom asked walking towards me. I quickly closed the book and set it down before grinning at her.

"Nothing," I replied, watching as her eyes shifted to my books on my desk.

"Are those books from high school? You still have those?" She asked, her face shocked. I nodded.

"I like to keep them for memories," I said, remembering the days of my childhood life. Life was so easy back then, I don't know why I wanted to grow up so bad.

"You're strange," She said, squinting at me. "After I graduated, I threw all my stuff in the trash,"

"You see mom, that's the difference between us!" I playfully said. "Unfortunately, I just have your nasty attitude,"

"Excuse me?" She scoffed, and I slightly laughed.

"I'm just kidding," I said, pouting whilst I hugged her. "I have your crazy, great attitude,"