Moments and Impacts

You know that moment in life where you realize that, no matter how messed up your life is, it's perfect. The moment you realize that your life can't get any better. You're with the girl your going to marry, and friends you'll have for the rest of your life. This was me.

But that's the thing about moments. They are fleeing. Here in a second, and gone in a whisper of a breath. Because as soon as I had this moment, everything was gone.

***

"Grayson, what's wrong? What happened to Genesis?"

He signs and doesn't meet my eyes, "The doctors told us not to tell you anything. We're not suppose to stress you out."

"Grayson," tears are blurring my vision in fear, "what happened to her? Please, please tell me."

He mumbles something that I don't quite catch and I have to ask him to speak louder. When he finally does, I wish that he hadn't told me, "She doesn't remember any of us," my heart shatters into a thousand pieces. I ask him if she remembers me and he says, "I went to go see her last night. She didn't even know who I was. When I told her who I was she just asked me if I was related to the boy who sat behind her in English class."

I didn't think my heart could shatter anymore than it already had, but it seems like all the tiny little pieces that were the remains of my heart broke into just as many pieces.

"She doesn't?" my voice breaks and I can't finish my sentence. Deep breaths I say silently to myself That's what the therapist said, right? After taking multiple deep breaths I ask again, "She doesn't remember me?"

"Not exactly," he says and takes the water bottle from me when I just start chugging it's contents down, "I mean, she remembers you, but she doesn't remember you. Does that makes sense?" I shake my head, "It's just-" he stops and runs his hands through his hair again, "she remembers you as the Brently Laker how sits behind her in English. She doesn't remember the Brently Laker who is in love with her, and who she loves."

I laugh. I actually laugh at the ridiculous words coming out his mouth. It's not possible. She can't forget me just as I can't forget her. That's just now how this works, we are suppose to remember forever.

***

Most people underestimate the word impact. They think that it's just a blow to the head, and smack to the knee, they aren't. Impacts are everywhere. They make our life what they are. You can't control them, you can only except them, and make the best of them.

But sometimes, it's hard to make the best of the worst.

***

"Can you tell me your name?" The nurse would be nicer if she wasn't shining a flashlight in my eyes.

"Genesis Hader," it's when I struggle to find my name that I realize something is very wrong with me.

She nods so I assume I got it right, "How old are you?"

I stop. I know I just celebrated my fifteenth birthday two days ago. Mom and Dad had bought me the most beautiful birthday cake from my favorite bakery. But fifteen doesn't feel like the right number. I feel older, more mature than a fifteen year old should, than I did just yesterday.

"Fifteen?" I have no other number to give.

The nurse purses her lips, turning the flashlight off and putting it into her pocket, "Sweetie, you're almost eighteen."

***

He's the half full type of guy. She's the half empty kind of girl. But when you put the two together you get a full glass of moments and impacts.

*#*#*

This is just the extended summary of my new story Moments and Impacts. Everything belongs to me, except for the picture, if any copies that is illegal.

Now let's get away from the heavy stuff.

This story will be told from two different points,Genesis Hader (a girl who has lost her memory up until the day after her fifteenth birthday), and Brently Laker (a boy who has forgotten everything before his freshman year of high school).

To help you know which character the point of view is I'm going to say this; Brently's chapters will have the word Moments in the title, and Genesis's will have the word Impact in the title.

And just a forewarning, you will want to pay attention to the tenses of the words (past/present). I will try to remember to say whether it is in the past or the present, but I may forget at times. It will very rarely be past tense in Genesis' chapters (because Brently is the one that remembers what has happened between them) and I think most of Brently's chapters WILL be in the past.