Chapter Nine: One Day, I Will Marry a Wall

CHAPTER NINE | ONE DAY, I WILL MARRY A WALL

My jaw dropped.

My eyes widen in surprise, confused as to what was happening. This does not look like Ashton. The kid who was forced into something he didn't like doing, who had innocent emerald eyes, who was tiny and let's not forget how pure he looked. I know it's creepy, but I just couldn't believe my eyes. My eyes ran over his figure, taking in how good he looked. He was wearing a black shirt, with white bold lettering reading out, Not Today. With his black shirt, he had a jean jacket over it, with a pair of black skinny jeans that were ripped at his knees and was sagging a little. 

I forgot about his sense of great style. 

He coughed once again, snapping me out of it. I laughed nervously, a slow blush developing across my cheeks. I couldn't help but smile slightly as his cheeks also became identical to mine, just a little lighter shade of pink. "I'm sorry I didn't notice you at first. You just look--,"

"Different?" He interrupted, a teasing glint in his eyes. I pursed my lips, nodding lightly. He chuckled, walking over to one of the swings and sitting on it. He motioned me to follow him, so I did just that. "I get that a lot." 

"What's that?" I ask, pointing to the light bruise on his cheek. He took in a sharp breath, before giving me a smile and shaking his head. 

"I think I walked into something earlier, I'll be alright though," he said, waving me off. I raised a teasing brow, before laughing.

"Was it a wall?" I asked. He looked at me before he snickered and nodded.

As our laughs died down, we both became quiet and let the comfortable silence immerse us. It felt good, having someone around to enjoy silence and not have any tension going through your head.

I don't know why, around him, I just feel calm. 

"Before I forget," I looked over at Ashton who was smiling, "the guy who was kidnapping you dropped this while he fell. Is this yours?" 

He held up my ring. 

I gasped, grabbing it, making our hands lightly brush against each other. He quickly pulled his hand back, his cheeks becoming a light shade of pink again before he shook his head and gulped. "Ashton, thank you so much! I would have thought he never gave it to me." 

"Who is he anyway?" Ashton asked, his tone a little harsh. He apparently didn't notice the change of his expression since he continued staring at me with curiosity. "Because he didn't seem like a friend." 

I sighed, looking at the ground. "I get bullied by him, ever since I came to this stupid school. Two years. Two years I've been and am still getting bullied by just one person. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me." 

I could hear Ashton scoff, "Pathetic? More like douchey." I look at him and give him somewhat of a smile, but he didn't give me one back, he looked at me with a hurt expression. "Why would he do that to someone like you? Did you do anything to him?" 

I shook my head, "That's what I'm trying to figure out." My voice turned a little shaky, "Emmet and Elijah did something to him."

"Your brothers?" 

"No," I snapped at him. He raised an eyebrow, his arms raising in the air as if he was surrendering. I rolled my eyes, "Yes, my stepbrothers." I emphasized the word, making sure he knew not to call them my brothers. 

"What's his name?" Ashton asked after a few seconds of silence. 

"Logan Rivers." 

A little more silence, until he spoke up again, "I should probably drop you off at home. It's getting late." He got up from his swing, making me stop swinging and getting off too. 

As we walked, he looked at my ring, "What do the letters stand for?" 

I wanted to tell him, which is weird since I never trust people this fast as I do with Cayden and the guys. Of course, I can't trust nor can I warm up to him too-- who am I kidding? I literally just told him what has been happening in my life so far. Clearly, I trust him. "Long story."

"Ashton," he hummed in response, "what happened to the gang?"

He slowed his pace, before picking it up again. "You wouldn't even want to know."

I, for a fact, knew that he didn't want to be in the gang. I know exactly what happened to his cheek, why he has a visible scar on his jaw. I still remember what happened back when I got kidnapped. 

He got abused by his brothers. 

Once we stopped by my house, I didn't want him to leave, especially knowing that he gets hurt at home. I want him to be safe. No, I need him to be safe. 

So, before he could walk away, I grabbed his hand softly, making him turn and look at him. "Please, just... don't leave."

"Why? Are you okay, Norah?" He asked, his expression turning into worry. 

"I-I don't want you to get hurt, so... just spend the night here!" I blurted. He widens his eyes, turning his face so he can hide his embarrassment. "Of course, only if you want to, I mean," I said softly, looking down.

"If you're worried about me, then give me your phone," he said, holding his hand out for my phone. I listened, placing it onto his palm as he typed in something. "There, now if you think I'm in danger or something, just text or call me." He gave his phone back and offered a friendly smile. Ashton started walking away, his figure slowly starting to fade away into the darkness.

Sighing, I opened the door, walking into the house. I ignored everyone who was eating dinner, but, as I was about to walk upstairs, Cayden stopped me.

"Why were you with a boy?"

I stopped. I turned to glare at Cayden, who was already glaring at me. Yes, Cayden is protective, but did he really have to mention that in front of the others? They wouldn't care, I know that, but it's still embarrassing. "He was a friend."

"From what I know, you have a lot of male friends," he mused. I huffed out an annoyed sigh, rolling my eyes.

I was about to say something when the doorbell interrupted me.

A/N: Do you guys ship it? Norah x Ashton? Create some ship names!

There isn't much to talk about this chapter, there's actually nothing to talk about for that matter.

Hope you enjoyed!