Protect My Love

The next morning, Roman was woken up by his mother. He looked around and saw that Virgil was gone.

"Why is the window open?"

Roman shrugged and asked his mother if he could speak to her. His mother nodded and sat on Roman's bed as he closed his bedroom door. He then sat back down beside her.

"What is it, Roman?"

He was shaking slightly from nerves. His mother noticed and took his hands in hers.

"Talk to me..."

"I just... I can't shake the feeling that father is wrong, that not all vampires are bad." he admitted.

His mother sighed.

"Why would you think that?"

"I can't say. You and father will hate me."

She shook her head.

"We could never hate you. You can tell us anything."

"Okay... y-yesterday when I went out for a walk in the forest, a group of vampires surrounded me, the Black family..."

His mother gasped.

"I was sure they were going to kill me, but I was saved."

"Who saved you, sweetie?"

"Another vampire, Black's son. He got me away from his father and the rest of the group. He got me back home, to safety..."

Roman felt a weight had been lifted, but at the same time he was worried about his mother's reaction.

"The vampire who saved you... he's still young. Eventually, he will follow in his father's footsteps, he'll hurt somebody!"

Roman shook his head.

"No! Mother, he's not and never will be like that!" he exclaimed, raising his voice slightly.

"Roman, you have to face facts. He's a vampire, a monst-"

"-You're wrong!"

Having slept in his normal clothes, he grabbed his jacket and threw it on as he stormed out of his room and past his father.

"Where are you going?"

"OUT!" Roman yelled, and with that he was gone.

Virgil had been sat watching over Roman all night. He heard footsteps coming towards Roman's room and left through the window as the bedroom door opened. He ran to the forest and sat against a tree that still gave him a view of Roman's house. He closed his eyes, relaxing as the wind whistled through the large trees that were surrounding him. The next thing he knew, there was a loud bang. His eyes shot open and he saw Roman heading his way, the main thing he noticed was that tears were cascading down his face. When Roman reached the edge of the forest, Virgil got up and ran over to him.

"Princey, what happened? What's wrong?"

Roman looked down at the ground to avoid eye contact.