Heading Home

Roman's mother ran to the two of them and hugged them tightly.

"I'm so glad you boys are alright! I was so worried."

"Sorry for scaring you, mother, but I had to go after Virgil before he got hurt..."

His mother smiled and kissed the top of his head.

"I understand. When you find what you've found in Virgil, found the person you're destined to be with, all you want to do is protect them. I was the same way with your father, as he was with me."

Roman's father stepped forward, making Roman step back, standing in front of Virgil protectively.

"Stay away from him!"

"Son, I'm sorry for the way I behaved. I was so caught up in the fact that he was a vampire, our biggest enemy, that I didn't see what was right in front of me. I believed that his kind were evil, and don't get me wrong, most are, but now I see that there are some good ones. Love like that, we shouldn't let it slip through our fingers."

Tears had formed in Roman's eyes while his father was speaking and he smiled softly, gently squeezing Virgil's hand.

"And Virgil, I should really apologise to you too. I underestimated you. I didn't think that it was possible for your kind to be good and capable of love, but you've proven me wrong. Roman told me about what happened with your father. Thank you for protecting my son." 

Virgil stepped out from behind Roman and addressed his father.

"I understand why you were sceptical and I forgive you. I am not my father, if I were, then you'd probably all be dead by now. Roman is right in what he said about my father, I killed him to protect Roman, but also to protect myself. If I hadn't done it, the love of my life would be dead and I'd be trapped, living a life I don't want. With him alive, I wouldn't be able to live the way I want to. I'd have been forced to behave like some evil, vampire prince, rather than living in peace with humans. The way I want to live, it's the way it should be." 

The three members of the Prince family looked at Virgil, in awe of his speech. The young vampire blushed.

"Virge, that was the most passionate I've ever seen you about anything. You're incredible!"

Virgil giggled.

"There is one thing I'm more passionate about..." he said softly.

"Really? What is it?"

Virgil rolled his eyes.

"You! You dork." 

Roman put his hand over his heart in mock offense. 

Virgil smirked and sped off upstairs to Roman's room. 

The young Prince went to follow but stopped to look at his parents.

"Go!" they said in unison.

Roman smiled brightly and ran to his room. When he entered, he couldn't see Virgil. He sighed, closing the door behind him. Just as he was about to walk over and take a seat on his bed, he was pinned against the wall.