Chapter 17 - knight in shining armour

Dae's POV

After lunch with Aiden, I decided to take a walk around the beautiful streets of Paris.

What if?

What if I accepted his 'offer' at the club, would we be together? Or would he have already left me as predicted?

What if in a different world, he was walking with me through these busy streets with that beautiful smile on his face and a cup of coffee in his hands.

I want coffee now...

I decided to stop by Toffee Coffee and get a cappuccino, it was after all my favorite café. When I walked in, everyone turned to look at me.

Shit.

Almost immediately, phones were out recording and people were beginning to swarm around me. I should really never go anywhere without Ralph and Colton. Soon enough, I was practically getting harassed; people were screaming in my face saying things that I couldn't comprehend, and flashes were going off in every direction. Some genius had definitely alerted the press as a professional camera appeared in front of me and a mic was shoved in my face. At this point, I was on the verge of a panic attack but I couldn't let them know that, the press can turn absolutely anything and everything against you at the snap of a finger.

Suddenly, the crowd parted and two bodyguards appeared in front of me, and behind them the one person I really did not want to see right now. Immediately he come and stood in front of me to block me from the press; and boy did they go wild. I looked up at Peter, who was still fighting the press back whilst his bodyguards stood on either side of me. He turned to look at me, I was practically on the verge of tears, and I think he realized that because his eyes went soft and he practically grabbed me and enveloped me in his big arms so that no one could get to me and led me out of the café with his bodyguards making a path for us. He led me straight to his car and opened the door for me and we both quickly climbed in.

Once we were safely in the car, he turned to me and asked me something, but I couldn't hear what he was saying, I was desperately trying to regulate my breathing and tried to stop myself from shaking, but I couldn't.

Peter's POV

I was at Toffee Coffee getting my much needed cup of coffee with my two bodyguards, Dom and Tony, when suddenly people started swarming around someone at the entrance of the café. I didn't bother with it at first, I had a cup of coffee I really wanted to finish. I sat there for a little while longer, nursing my cup of coffee, when the press arrived. I ignored them, they obviously weren't here for me, and I was thankful for that. They were a pain.

"Dae Carter, could you please-" I heard one of the people say.

I instantly got up and informed Dom and Tony about the situation. We approached the crowd of people and they started pushing their way through the crowd with me behind them. As soon as they made it to the front, I moved to stand in front of them and then immediately went to stand in front of her, I tried to make a little space between us and the press and then turned around to check on her. She had tears in her eyes and looked terrified. I knew I had to get her out of here right now, otherwise we were both fucked. So I pulled her into me and made sure that no one could get to her as Dom and Tony cleared a path for us to go through. Of course the press went wild at this.

I got her safely into my car and made sure that we were away from prying eyes before I made sure she was okay.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

She was looking at me, but I didn't seem to appear to have heard what I said. That's when I noticed that she was shaking and breathing very heavily, she was scared, vulnerable. So I did the only thing I could think off; I pulled her towards me for the second time today and engulfed her in a hug. She froze and then she broke down. I could feel her small frame shaking as she cried silently and I could feel her tears soaking my shirt, but I didn't mind; all that mattered was that she was safe.

We stayed in that position until we arrived at my penthouse.

"Dae, we're here." I said as I lightly rubbed her back.

She sniffled and looked out the window, "We're where?"

"My house."

"Oh." She replied, she looked confused.

"Uh, I didn't know where you lived so I just brought you here." I said and scratched my neck, I had no clue how what her reaction would be.

"You could've just asked me you know." She said and gave me a cute little smile.

"I didn't want to disturb you." I said and looked away from her.

Then Dom opened the door for us and I got out and helped her out. She looked up at the building in awe.

"So, which floor are you on?" She asked me.

"The top floor."

"Woah." She replied, her eyes sparkled with curiosity.

I put my hand around her waist and led her inside and towards the elevators with Dom and Tony following us. As soon as we were in the elevator, an awkward silence fell upon us.

"Uh, thank you for rescuing me." She said as she looked up at me.

"It was nothing." I replied and smiled down at her.

"No really, there would probably be some nasty story going around social media by now if it weren't for you, and you guys." She said as she moved a little forward to thank Dom and Tony.

"It was no problem ma'am." Tony said.

She smiled at them and then stepped back a little so that she was standing in line with me. We reached the top floor and exited the elevator, which led us right into my penthouse.

"You have a really beautiful house." She said whilst looking around.

"Thank you."

"Do you mind if I take a look around?" She asked me.

"How about I give you a little tour?"

"That would be awesome." She said and smiled at me.

So I showed her around, my penthouse consisted of four bedrooms with one bedroom converted into a study, a lounge, a gym and a kitchen. It was pretty spacious, who am I kidding, it was big. I mean it was practically a house.

"Is that?" She asked me as she stopped to admire the painting.

"Yes it is." I said with a proud look on my face.

"An original?"

"Of course."

"You bought one of Jasper Johns' most famous paintings and chose to display it at your penthouse?" She asked me.

"Where else would I put it?"

"I don't know, maybe a museum? How much was this anyway? I'm kind off scared to know the answer."

I chuckled and replied, "Eighty four."

She gasped and looked at me with her eyes as wide as saucers, "Million?"

"Yeah." I said sheepishly.

"It's beautiful." She said and carried on admiring it.

"It sure is." I said back, but my view was a little different than hers. Her eyes sparkled as she admired the painting and her lips were formed in a beautiful smile that brightened up the room.

"Peter?"

"Yup?" I said distractedly.

"I think we need to talk."

________________________________________

"My task is set before me, girl
My mission clear and true
There'll be black knights and dragons, girl
But I will always come for you..."

Emme Rollins

________________________________________

a/n - did you enjoy this one? i really enjoyed writing it! 
on top is the painting that Peter has in his penthouse, 'false start' painted by Jasper Johns.
don't forget to vote, comment and share! 💘
- J x