Chapter 12

***dans pov***

The next time I was aware of where I was, was when me and Phil were sat in the waiting room lobby thing.

We were sat on a chair together; it was small and we are big, so I ended up half on his lap but I didn't mind. I really needed him and it felt nice to have him as close as possible.

We clinged to each other until we heard footsteps approach us and we looked up; a doctor stood in front of us.

"Is she okay?" Phil squeezed my hand as the doctor nodded.

"Yes. Alyssa is okay for now, but there was a lot of damage to her skull and most likely her brain, as well as her ribs, wrist, and ankle."

Phil gulped.

"Yeah, she had had injuries to her wrist and ankle before the incident."

We still don't even know what that incident was.

The doctor nodded.

"When can we see her?" Phil asked, tightening his grip around my waist.

"You can go in there now, but only for a couple minutes," the doctor raised her eyebrows "we are going to take a further look at-"

Yeah, that's where I stopped listening.

She led us down a hall or two- I wasn't paying attention- and slowly opened the door to Alyssa's room.

I saw her, she was attached to a heart monitor machine, with tubes going into her body at different angles everywhere.

Maybe I should've listened to what the doctor was saying, why were there so many tubes attached to her?

I was still stood in the doorway, with Phil, when her eyelids fluttered.

The image of her being hauled into the ambulance, her hand pulled from my grasp flashed through my mind.

I ran over to her and took her hand.

"Dan?" She said, opening her eyes but then shutting them, letting her eyes adjust to the light.

"Alyssa. Are you okay?"

She looked at me. I hoped she would make a sassy remark, something sarcastic like she usually did, but she didn't.

She just looked at me.

"I don't know." She finally answered.

I leaned down and hugged her.

That's when I realized Phil was on her other side. I shut up and let him talk.

They spoke a bit but I couldn't listen; footsteps were coming towards our room. They were going to make us get out.

The doctor appeared at the door, and then stopped.

She looked surprised.

"She's awake?"

"Yes." Phil said.

"When did she wake up."

"When all the doctors left the room." Phil answered.

The doctor hummed.

"Alright. I'm going to have to ask you two to exit the room to the lobby waiting area please."

I grabbed Alyssa's hand and just looked at her, because I didn't know what to say.

Phil leaned close to her face and whispered something in her ear that made her smile, and then we were pulled out of the room.