Discussing Dantès (In The Context of French Literature Class)

Classes weren't cancelled today, so that meant French Literature was up and at it. Robin was prepped with her personal annotated copy of The Count of Monte Cristo followed by her notes taken while reading and from lecture. Bryn slid into the seat next to her with a wide grin and a wave, and Archer even accompanied her. He was wearing what looked like pajama pants from the college's store and a shirt that read "I Really Wish I Weren't Here Right Now". His ginger hair was disheveled, even moreso than yesterday, and his bird companion took a liking to his scalp; fluttering up from his shoulder to get comfortable in the makeshift nest of hair. It would do.

Why couldn't Avenger do things like wear casual clothes and be with her in class like Archer? He was probably too nervous to, which the brunette understood all too well. Again, she never wanted to force her Servant to do something he didn't want to do. Did that defeat the purpose of being a Master? This was taking a toll on her moral compass.

"Good morning, everyone. Let us being with our discussion on Dantès, as I'm assuming you've all done your work over the snow days."

Now that class was starting, she hoped that her mind didn't wander the whole time. The seat to her left was vacant, and she imagined Avenger sitting there next to her, just as Archer was with his own master.

"Edmond Dantès is perhaps one of the most iconic avengers in literary history. Can anyone begin to explain why?"

One student raised their hand and mentioned the time at Chateau D'lf and how it gave Dantès an almost perfect reason to get back at everyone who got him there. Robin nodded, but also knew there was more to that...

"Yes, Miss Fea?"

"Edmond Dantès didn't just plot revenge on those who hurt him; he rewarded and greatly admired those who never left his side and supported him throughout the entire novel. I feel like that... duality, I guess, is what makes him one of the greatest avengers."

The teacher accepted her answer and provided examples of the protagonist's support.

"He helped Mercèdes get away from her abusive husband--one of the men in charge of his being placed in prison--and even attempted to give Haydee her title of princess back."

Edmond was a fictional character, but she really wished she could find a guy with such a big heart. Okay, well, this is a pretty weird situation, since Edmond was imprisoned unjustly and now plots revenge against everyone who got him there... but her point still stood!

While she was absentmindedly letting her eyes wander around the room, she noticed someone in the once empty seat next to her and jumped.

"A-Avenger?!"

She hissed. Bryn was too busy participating in class, and Archer didn't even acknowledge his presence. What was he doing here-

"You wanted me here, so I came. You are my Master; I will obey your orders."

She never ordered him to sit in class with her, but she was thankful he was here nonetheless. He could definitely read her mind, which didn't sink in right away, and class continued like nothing had happened.

"If you go to the very last page of chapter one hundred and fourteen, you will notice the very last words are a popular expression in French literature. Can anyone translate it into French for the class?"

Attendre et espérer... wait and hope. Hearing it again, it sounded eerily similar, if not identical to what Avenger muttered while she was finishing up the book! So that's what it meant! How did he know French, let alone what she was reading? Wait, he can basically kinda sorta connect to her mentally, but that doesn't explain the foreign language! She only knew Spanish and some Japanese! Nani?!

"Avenger, how did you know-"

"Miss Fea, is there something you'd like to share with the class?"

Not this again... she barely said anything! She bowed her head and put her hands in her lap shamefully.

"No, sir..."

While the brunette wasn't paying attention, Avenger watched Robin sink in her chair before directing a gaze from hell at the professor. Nothing happened to the professor, but Archer physically shuddered and scooted away from Bryn even though Avenger was three seats away from him. The bird hopped off from Archer's head and back down to its designated shoulder; nuzzling up against his neck to make him feel better. Archer couldn't help but smile, and his inaudible guffaw hooked Avenger's attention.

"How vile..."

Robin's servant scowled before turning to face the other way. Archer didn't even know half of what was going on with the edge lord over there, and waited until class was over to effectively vanish into thin air with a peace sign to Bryn. The raven-haired girl tapped Robin on the shoulder while she was packing up her ita bag.

"You got him to show up!"

She chimed.

"Yeah, I did somehow. I'm still really uncomfortable with the whole Master thing... it feels so dominating and pressuring and-!! Gosh! I dunno, I'm gonna have to pray about it."

Avenger stayed a safe distance away from Robin while she packed up, and walked by her like a guardian as she and her friend went back to their dorms. The last thing on Robin's mind was Avenger's true name.