Thirteen

By late-June, early-July, the tensions within Poison were hitting an all-Time high. CC’s coke addiction was raging outta Control, to the point that it was even annoying Nikki, and the rest of the band finally decided something had to be done. They couldn’t keep going on like they were, especially with two demanding infants on the bus–which one’d think woulda been a deterrent against drug use for this part of the tour.

        It was after their July seventh show in Michigan that things Began to come to a head, which led to them canceling the rest of the Flesh and Blood tour. Being exhausted from the crazy schedule on top of basically having infant twins, Bobby was just as moody as when he first went on his extra T. Normally, he tried to walk away from any fighting–unless it involved CC, ’cuz he loved cleaning the lead guitarist’s clock sometimes–but now, it wasta the point that he was even fighting with Rockett. He and Bret’d always had their issues, and neither’d deny having thrown a few punches at each other, but he and the drummer were generally the closest outta the four.

        None of them could take the strain anymore, and the relatively sober trio finally had it with their lead guitarist’s behavior. They refused to play another show they didn’t have to, and from there, they all went back home to So Cal before somebody’s throat got ripped out. The younger bassist seemed to be the happiest, if only so he could just settle into being a parent more without having to drag his babies all over the World, where just about anything could happen to them.

        However, there was one last show they’d already committed to months ago, and that was the ever-famous MTV Video Music Awards. It was far too late to back out now, but Gods, they all Wished they could right from the second they started arriving at the venue. The two bassists were the first to arrive since–with two infants–they wanted plenty of Time to accommodate any pit stops that made them run late. Next to arrive was Bret, who gladly played with his lil nephews for a few minutes, and after him was their drummer.

        “Where the hell is he?” the vocalist growled. It was almost showtime, and their lead guitarist still wasn’t anywhere to be found.

        “Fuck, if I know,” Rikki said, twirling his drumsticks. “I’m starting to wonder, if he’s even gonna show up.”

        “He fuckin’ better,” the younger bassist grumbled. “If I gotta outta bed after dealing with these two half the Night just for him to be a no-show…”

        “Relax, love,” Nikki said, gently massaging his mate’s shoulders from behind the couch he was sitting on as he nursed said boys one last Time before they stormed the stage. “I’ll take his place, if I’ve gotta, since your mom tagged along to see y’all perform.”

        “Can ya–” Bret started to ask, only to have his guitar snatched away. “Hey!”

        The older bassist merely smirked at him, but easily started shredding out CC’s infamous lead riff. “That answer your question?”

        “Well, at least we’ve that covered, if he’s an idgit and triesta embarrass us tonight,” the drummer mused. “It’s weird seeing ya with a guitar, though.”

        “Nah, what’s weird is when I bust out my flute or something,” he snickered, handing the axe back to its owner.

        That distracted the guys well enough as they gaped and launched into questions about what all he really played while he and his mate were burping their boys. None of the younger band even noticed when their lead guitarist darted in to start getting ready till he yelled at them, making them jump. Of course, the older bassist’d noticed his entrance, but he chose not to say anything just to see how long it took them to.

        With the band finally ready to storm the stage a short while later, Nikki got the boys strapped to him in a double snuggler so they could actually see what was going on. They loved when they saw their mama start playing guitar or bass either one, and this’d technically be their first live show. They’d always stayed on the bus before the remainder of the Flesh and Blood tour got canceled, ’cuz they were so young, but tonight was gonna be different. Being able to spell them so the Music wasn’t quite as loud was a plus, one both bassists were thankful for as they grabbed their instruments.

        Poison started playing one of their newer tracks–which the older bassist happened to hate–called Unskinny Bop during one of the commercial breaks. Granted, that carried over slightly after said commercial break Ended, and they stopped mid-song so they could start over and play it all the way through on camera. It was obvious they were all having fun so far, even with CC’s blindingly hot-pink hair flashing all over the place, but things wouldn’t stay that way. They were soon to take a quick downhill turn, but even Nikki couldn’t predict what was about to happen or how far outta Control things were gonna spiral. That was one of those things his Crystal ball just didn’t wanna tell him today, much to the younger band’s misfortune.

        It started with Bret saying, You in the mood tonight?, followed by the whole band singing When I hear the Music…Lord, gon’ let it play in more of a barber shop-quartet kinda Harmony style. Just as they were Ending their oddball intro, the vocalist carried on with You ready to talk dirty to me? as a way to get the crowd amped up before telling CC to hit it.