Whole Heart

Nathanael quietly entered the flat hoping he could maybe sneak up to his room without his Mother questioning him and then freaking out if she saw the state of his knuckles.

He had reached the second stair but when he put his foot gently on the third it decided it wanted to ruin its life as it let out a loud creak. He stiffened and winced as he heard the living room door open. His mum looked up at him in slight confusion.

"What are you sneaking around for?"

Nathanael sheepishly smiled and frantically tried to hide his hands behind his back but his mother's eagle's eyes were too good for him.

Her eyes widened in horror and anger "Nathanael Eitan Kurtzberg, what in God's name have you been up to?" she exclaims.

Nathanael pales. She is using his full name. He is deader than dead.

He anxiously laughs "Would you believe I tripped?"

Her narrowed eyes and the way she crosses his arms signals to him she does not. "You better start talking Right now" she growls.

He sighs and holds onto the bannister invoking a gasp from his mum when she sees his knuckles properly. "I'm sorry, Mum but I had to there was this huge jerk and he had cornered Lila and I don't know I just saw red and then I hit him and...I guess I couldn't stop until Lila pulled me away But he was the one in the wrong Mum not me!" Nathanael pleads.

Adina pouts "I see...he does sound awful" her eyebrows furrowed "But you better hope to God the police don't get involved in this or I swear-"

"Mum, The police won't be getting involved Lila said she would sort it"

Miss Kurtzberg raises an eyebrow "Lila? Nathanael as much as I love the girl what can she do?"

"Her parents are rich and her mother is a diplomat so I'm sure there's plenty!" he frowns.

She sighs "I hope you're right" then her glare returns "Now go to your room"

Nathanael's mouth draws in a tight line "Why am I getting punished?"

"I know you say you did it to protect Lila and I am happy for that" Adina says "I still do tolerate my son being violent, I have raised you better than that!"

Nathanael grumbles "Whatever, I was going to my room anyway" he stomps up the stairs.

"Don't take that attitude with me either!" she shouts up after him. He has learnt to ignore her as he heads towards his room.

She shakes her head "That boy" she mutters 'Still this hopefully will be a rare occasion, I'm sure Nathanael doesn't usually attract trouble' she heads back into the living room to watch her show.

When Nathanael woke up from a restless sleep plagued by nightmares of Carlo, Prison and Lila hating him. He felt more tired than he had been before he had shut his eyes. He stretched his stiff arms a feeling of relief washing over him as he realises, he had just been dreaming.

He pushes the covers off while glancing at the clock on his bedside table. He sees he has slept in a bit. Getting out of the bed he heads to the window pushing opening the light grey curtains with tiny stripes of yellow and white threaded through it. Sunlight flooded the room making Nathanael blink his eyes adjusting to the sudden brightness.

He turned and went to his bedside table picking up his phone. He checked and saw he had received a few messages. He clicked on Lila's first.

Rossifox: Hey I was wondering if we could hang out now?

He quickly checks and is relieved to see her message was only sent a minute ago.

SuperNath: Sure, meet up in an hours time?