Hidden and still Watching

Kaito sighed as he tried to stare his locked front door down. That bastard detective.
He hid behind a large bush and began to undress, slowly turning back into Kuroba Kaito. The thief kept flashing cautious glares over to his neighbor, Nakamori-keibu, in case Conan had called the police. Most likely, that man was the first one on his heels and Hakuba the second.
Kaito shruddered and shook his head to get rid of the mental image.

Sighing, he picked out one of his lockpicks, the one he usually had with him and began to work on his door. He heard a satisfying click within a minute and tried to push the door open, yet to no avial.
"Ano gaki (That brat)..." he cursed and instead used the secret entrance leading to his KID-room. He had everything down here he needed. Spare clothes, most of his school stuff since on every of his notebooks his name was scribbled upon, food and even a bathroom.
He wouldn't show himself to Conan until the chibi felt better.

Conan, after making sure every way into the house was blocked for the thief, settled down in the kitchen. He waited next to the coffee machine with an impatient expression and finally grabbed his mug, taking a big sip.
He burned himself but didn't care. Conan felt so betrayed. KID was a thief. A famous one, obviously. And he used to do everything possible to capture him. Why couldn't he remember? They must have had various encounters as detective and thief.
Were other detectives in Tokyo? Did he work alone? He knew about a Mouri-detective, KID had told him he used to live with him. Was he good? That name didn't ring any bells.

The boy leaned into the soft cushioned chair and finally relaxed. He didn't know what to do now. Tell on KID? Spoil his plans? Or keep quiet?
Conan couldn't answer his questions. KID had taken him into his domain, his house, his last resort and decided to live with his worst enemy. Were they worst enemies? Regarding his nickname KID Killer, he must have been a pain in the ass for the famous thief.
Conan sorted out his thoughts until the evening, occasionally wandering aimlessly through the rooms. Now that he thought about it, he had no proof KID was KID. He still didn't know his name, barely the location of the place he lived in and there were no signs of any family he could have tracked down, not even speaking about any unusual gadgets related to a thief. The materials to craft masks and clothes he had used to impersonate his mother had appeared out of nowhere, too.

Without KID the house was way too silent. Somehow the silence felt familiar, how lonely he realised he was... Had he been lonely before? Conan didn't remember.
The detective slowly took the wooden steps downstairs after a small nap and began to feel a little bad about leaving the KID outside his own house. Why didn't he break in yet? As a famous thief he should have been able to do at least that. Would he even return...?
All of a sudden Conan began to feel anxious. What if KID had disappeared the moment he had locked him out?
No. He shouldn't bother with that now. KID probably just gave him time to calm down. After all, he cared about his Meitantei. Right?

The boiling pot in front of him on the stove calmed him a little as he stared into it. Conan cooked again and set soon enough the table. He placed a bowl for KID onto the place the head of the house commonly sat at and sat down, hopefully glancing left to the window and across the table to the door. No sign of KID.
"...itadakimasu," he mumbled and bowed to the empty seat next to him before he slowly munched on his food. That was the first time he had eaten alone since his accident. Conan didn't like that.
Perhaps KID was just busy.
Perhaps KID wanted to give him freedom.

***

KID didn't return the following days either and Conan felt horrible. He wished nothing more than to see the cheeky thief again.
His memories didn't come back yet. Conan didn't know anyone else than KID. He wanted KID. Only KID. He needed him so bad it drove him insane.
But Conan didn't cry.
He had started a routine and this helped him managing his day. He would get up at eight o'clock, brush his teeth, take a shower and dress himself for the day, then prepare breakfast with his favorite coffee and just like this, he calmly began the new day.
Every time he cooked, he prepared food for his friend, too, even though KID never came. Did KID even consider him his friend? He couldn't know. His pokerface was just too perfect.

KID who lived the whole time inside his secret chamber, kept watching and observing Conan the whole time. He swore to not come back until Conan clearly said it. It was clear the detective waited for him, alone regarding the extra meals he prepared every single day for KID. Much to his surprise the chibi hadn't left the house a single day and kept himself hidden in the dark the whole time.
He had to do a lot of convincing to Aoko so she wouldn't barge into his house anymore. Kaito couldn't risk her to uncover Conan's presence inside his house. Still, he came over every day to eat breakfast and dinner with the Nakamori family.

But soon enough, he received a call of Jii. A new target. Kaito sighed and flashed a glance at his costume. It had been a week since he dared to wear it. Perhaps now, it was time to do so again.