Of Gifts and Traps

Hattori stared at his phone as if it had personally offended him. Out of all people, he was the one destined to tell Kudo.
"Shit. He's gonna kill me," he anxiously murmured and lifted the device to his ear, waiting for the chibi to pick up.

"Moshi-moshi?"
"Oi Kudo, there's somethin' I have ta admit..."
An outraged gasp was audible at the other end of the line and Hattori swallowed.
"I knew it!! You are dating KID!! No wonder he goes missing ever so often and phones you so much!!"
Hattori jawdropped for a good minute before he stifled a grin.
"Wrong track, Kudo. My heart's with Kazuha. But yeah, we've been spendin' an awful amount 'f time together. Just not how ya think."
"So? Enlighten me," the Beikan detective snapped back and Hattori bit his lip. He had worked on this excuse for a long time.
"KID's been practisin' for an undercover job with me. Guess ya won't be seein' him for a few days, but dontcha worry, he's fine."
Silence.

"He. Is. WHAT?!" Conan screamed into the phone, voice dropping to a tone Hattori was glad to be more than 3 hours away from him.
"I swear to god if he gets hurt I will personally take the next train to Osaka and chase you the whole amount he is gone around with soccer balls and power kick boots!"
Hattori sweatdropped, all colour draining from his tanned face. Shit.
"O-oi Kudo..."
"Don't Kudo me!!"
A second voice was audible through the phone and Hattori flinched. A girl. Who was it?
"Conan-kun who are you talking to? Why are you yelling so much?" he heard the sweet voice similar to Ran but not exactly Ran.
"M-my friend! I-I'm sorry, I got too exited!" Conan replied and Hattori wanted to vomit at this childish voice. Jesus.

But who was that girl? Not anyone Kudo could have known before his amnesia. A friend of KID, most likely.
"Stop deducin' Heiji, KID trusts ya ta not dig in his private circle...!" the Osakan quietly scolded himself.
"Well anyway," he said a bit louder, "I jus' wanted ta let ya know. See ya around."
As soon as he hung up, he felt relief spreading in his bones. Good. One hellish apocalypse prevented.
Now he just had to trust KID to manage it out alive.

Five days later, Agasa-hakase opened his door for the mail man.
"I've got a package for... Haibara Ai?"
The old man smiled and signed for the little girl. It wasn't heavy, and Haibara never received packages. In fact, he didn't trust this at all.
As soon as the door closed, he immediatly hurried to put it down onto the table. A bomb? Poison?
"Ai-chan!" he called and seconds later the gingerhead walked calmly into the living room.
"Yes?"
"A package. There is no address. I'm sure this is a trap."
Haibara frowned and immediately hurried to fetch a scanner to check the package.
"...nothing. There are only papers inside."
"Papers?"

Haibara proceeded to open the package and curiously read through the note guarding the rest of the papers.
"Dearest Ojou-san, I allowed myself to hand you this thoughtful present. I shall remain hidden for a few more days to finish this matter once and for all. Create an antidote and live the life you have dreamed of, without fear or lies. Until I see my beloved critics again under the full moon...
Phantom under the Moonlight,
Kaitou KID"
Agasa gasped and Haibara immediately set the note aside to pick up the papers. Formulars.
"Oh god..." she whispered, tears in her eyes, "This is... t-this is the formular of Apoptoxin 4869..."
Her lips curled up into a wide and touched smile. Haibara would have never thought that of all people, neither Bourbon nor Kir would be able to gain access to the scientists but Kaitou KID.
"I'll start working immediately. Hakase, could you inform Shinichi?"
"Of course."

The old man fetched his phone and typed a small SMS to the chibi detective who was still stuck at Nakamori's household. Haibara, now completely focused onto her laptop, fell into deep thoughts.
She finally had a chance to be herself again, Miyano Shiho. But... would she grab it?
She had nothing to live for as Miyano Shiho. Her family was dead. She never admitted it in front of Shinichi but she had come to enjoy her life as Haibara Ai. To be able to spend time as a child, to relive the childhood she had never had.
Perhaps she would just stay in her age.
"For Kudo..." she muttered and her fingers flew over the keys, "For him and all the future victims of Apoptoxin 4869... I'll create the antidote."
Haibara knew she had to thank KID for his sacrifice. Who knew if he would ever return? Amuro had been in trouble often enough as undercover agent, just as Akai.
Perhaps this time, this one time, one of them would manage to blow the whole Organization up.
Perhaps this time, it was KID.