Chapter 20 - Emilie

Rouge closed the front door behind her and rested against it letting a sigh escape from her mouth. She stared into the brightly lit hallway that stretched from the entryway to the family living room, also connecting to their kitchen, tuning her ears to the changed environment. From the buzzing of lightning bugs and chirping of crickets outside, to the boisterous chatter and laughter emanating from her family in the living room, this was her life.

It was what she was familiar with, but as of late she's had to deal with new challenges and prospects from all sides. First the dreams and visions which led them to an adversary they never imagined they would meet. Now Hayato displayed new characteristics that would usually be foreign to him.

She gazed down at her hands and like a film played back repeatedly, scenes of when Hayato gently held them emerged in her mind. At the time, the small moment left her speechless. That, and his strong gaze spoke more to her than normal words normally would. Hayato's sudden display of boldness was new to her, but as she now reminisced on it she found it to be strangely comforting.

She took off her shoes and made her way to the living room to find her mom, dad, and younger sister stifling back laughter as they noticed her appearance. Her mom quickly rose up to give her a warm hug while her dad made his way back to his favorite chocolate colored couch at the opposite end of the living room.

It was his favorite spot in the house, apart from the kitchen. If they ever needed anything from him, he was sure to be found seated there, one leg crossed over the other as he comfortably absorbed himself in whatever new book he was reading.

Emilie on the other hand was beaming from ear to ear as she put her phone right beside her on the couch.

"Welcome back home sweetie," Rouge's mom, Estelle, said. "It looks like you had yourself a wonderful day, with that grin on your face and all."

"Grin?" Rouge quickly straightened herself up. She hadn't realized she was smiling.

"Don't tease her too much dear. Hayato walked you back home?" her dad, Gerome, asked.

Now the pieces were slowly coming together. It was clear who the culprit was. Rouge let out a sigh and turned her attention to Emilie, which she returned with a smirk. It was clear to her that her younger sister was up to something.

"How did you know he walked me back home?"

Emilie walked over to Rouge, handing her her phone. Rouge's eyes widened as she gazed at a picture of the moment she and Hayato embraced each other.

"Wha...when did you take this?"

Emilie took the phone from her sister's hand. "I heard you two talking outside and took a peek through the window. I didn't think I'd get to see a picture perfect moment like that though. You looked like the happiest girl in the world," Emilie playfully hummed as she took a seat back on the couch.

"Just make sure to send us the wedding invite, ok?"

"That's funny, at least I'd get married. You're practically cooped up inside all day drawing or painting. What's your excuse?" Rouge scanned her sister from head to toe, taking in her all-black ensemble. Her younger sister's fashion choices for the most part were refined and ladylike, a contrast to Rouge's adoration for streetwear and exploration friendly clothing.

She needed to feel free, to be able to burst out into a sprint or careen down a hill with her levi-shoes at a moment's notice, and long dresses such as those Emilie found comfort in wouldn't cut it.

However, Emilie sometimes found it necessary to dress herself in ways Rouge could never grasp. She had recently finished a painting of a vibrant sunflower field and wore a bright yellow outfit each time she painted in order to better tune her mind for the task at hand.