Shadows of Hope

Jack was holding his breath as he watched Amy's face muscles work funnily. She was taking a look at his leg, pulling that concentrated frown with the subtle lip bite that the Irishman had come to realize meant she was deep in thought; so he refused to make a noise, to let her think in peace. She let out a sigh, gently nudged him so he'd turn his leg over the other direction, and then she finally pulled away and sat up.

"There is still much healing to be done," she murmured, "The scars may be permanent, but I'm more worried about your ability to walk and run." Jack steeled himself to look at the back of his leg; seeing the scars still made his adrenaline sputter to attention, but he forced back the memory of huge green eyes and flashing claws and simply gave a quiet nod.

"Okay." Once Amy was done changing the wrappings, she cleaned up the remaining supplies, whilst Jack rolled his pantleg back down and sat up with a sigh, slumping. The scarring up on his back had been given the same news; he too was worried about being able to walk on his own. Sure, he could manage short distances, but he had to rest off it often. But what if it got worse? 

Amy paused to study his despondent hunch, then gave the ground beside him a gentle tap. "Jack." Jack lifted his head, seeing Amy wait until he was looking at her before giving a nod. "It's going to be okay," the healer reassured, "You are still healing, and even if you no longer were, it does not mean you won't be able to do less." She paused to tilt her head and give a small smile. "If anything, I think you can do so much more than we've seen, and have yet to. And... Well, I'm still not sure if you can understand my every word, but serönoba." 

Jack blinked, opting to shrug and tilt his head while he asked, "What for?" Which successfully got his question across.

"For treating you like one of the animals, instead of like one of us." Jack blinked rapidly again, then ducked his head with a relieved smile and swimming vision. Amy leaned her head alongside him, her own brow pinching upward with earnest concern. He forced himself to take a deep breath despite the few tears that escaped, and then he let out a small titter. Amy recognized that was a positive noise and smiled wider, giving his head one of the gentle pat-rubs Mark often tended to him with. "I think the scars are impressive anyway," she added, "In the tribe, we do not often fight, but any marks we do receive or have are regarded with respect, as they are one of the many ways we share our stories. There are some who are simply born with these things, and some who, like you, have experiences that result in changes, even if we cannot see them; but they are simply people. I may be a healer, but even though they have experiences I myself will never personally understand, they can do things just like me. And... That includes you, even though I do not understand where you came from, or how you got here." Amy very delicately tapped Jack's head, making the young male giggle again as he playfully ducked away and smiled up at her. "And I won't understand why the Panthéo attacked you either, or what all that experience caused; it's an experience that happened, and you don't have to be happy that it did of course, but it is now a part of your story. One that I hope we will someday be able to hear..." Amy let out a soft sigh. "At least speaking with gestures work. I am glad that you and Mark figured out a way to connect and communicate." Jack bobbed his head in a nod, agreeing.

"Connect about what?" Jack's gaze darted over to see Mark stepping into the tent, and his already more upright posture straightened even further as he broke into a delighted grin.

"Mark!" He called, making grabby hands. Mark smiled back with a fond chuckle, crouching down to give the little guy a familiar head pat before resting his hand against his back.

"And how are you, líten häna?" Jack glanced toward Amy, then gave a large, deliberate nod to once again communicate effectively with the two tribe members.