Chapter 7: Heroes Taking Flight

The sun rose as light shined through the windows of the ballroom. I yawned as I got up from my mattress. Looking over to the side, Ruby and Yang were still asleep. The initiation might be in an hour or two, so I'll let them have a little more time. As I stood up, a girl at the boys' side exclaimed out loud as she looked down at a boy who grudgingly got up. He looked exhausted while the girl was very energetic as she sang a tune.

Something tells me that they're very close to each other. I shook my head before heading off to wash up. After doing so, I went to the cafeteria and had breakfast. While I was eating, I happen to see the two from before again. The girl continued to talk as she kept a pancake in her mouth. The boy just sat there, listening to her as he cut his pancakes. He must have a lot of patience to deal with a highly energetic girl like her.

"Hey, Robin!" I turned and saw Ruby and Yang making their way towards me with trays carrying food. "You're up early."

"I didn't want to bother you two," I said. "You both seemed like you needed the sleep."

"Well, don't worry. We're fully prepared for whatever the initiation may be!" Yang exclaimed before her stomach growled. "Maybe not breakfast..."

We laughed and ate our breakfast together. Soon, we were at the locker rooms grabbing our weapons. And again, the pair was there. They, or rather the girl, appear to be talking about the teaming system in Beacon. She then asked the boy if he knew how to make a sloth sound. Which is somewhat of an odd choice of call since sloths don't make much noise.

"Nora..." The boy spoke.

"Yes, Ren?" Nora got out.

"I don't think sloths make a lot of noise." He pointed out, retrieving handguns with blades attached under the barrels from his locker and store them within his sleeves.

"...That's why it's perfect!" Nora exclaimed. "No one will suspect we're working together!"

"Come on, Nora." Ren closed his locker before heading off. "Let's go."

"But not 'together' together." Nora giggled, following Ren.

"Wonder what those two were so worked up about?" Ruby got out, opening her locker.

"Considering we're taking the initiation where we would form a team as it goes, I can see why." I said, pocketing a few Tomes into my coat.

"Hey, Robin. What's with the books?" Yang asked. "You don't suppose we need something like them?"

I'm guessing the knowledge of Tomes is still a drop of water in the sea. Still, if I were to bring them along, I might as well explain to them without catching them off guard at what they could do.

"These are Tomes, Yang. They're books containing incantations of which I can use to conjure whatever elements they possess." I explain.

"What, you're a magician or something?" Yang joked.

"Well, you can say it's like magic. Like those stories of people able to use magic in the past."

"C'mon. Magic's not a thing. You're just making that up."

"I can prove it. But, I don't want to cause a scene here. So I'll do it after the initiation."

"Alright then. So, Ruby! You seemed awfully chipper this morning." Yang turned to her sister.

"Yep! No more awkward small talk or 'getting to know you' stuff." Ruby said, taking out Crescent Rose and cuddling the scythe. "Today, I get to let my sweetheart to do the talking."

"Keep in mind, Ruby. We're not the only ones going through this initiation." I said as Yang nodded.

"Yeah. And if you want to grow up, you're going to have to meet new people and learn to work together." Yang advised.