3

I hate house hunting. Legitimately hate it, I'm so picky it's hard to find something that I like, but after 6 hours of looking at house and 3 mental break downs I think I found it. I found the perfect home. I know I told Cody I was looking around his area but I ended up falling in love with. It was a ranch style home over looking the valley in Beverly Hills.

As soon as I saw it I knew it was the one

As soon as I saw it I knew it was the one. The white and black exterior just made it look so clean and nice. Even Ian knew this home was for me.

"So I'll submit your offer to the owner and get back to you as soon as they respond." My realtor says exciting me.

I could help the smile on my face. "Great I'm so excited. Thank you so much for all your help." I say shaking her hand.

"Of course. It was great working with you. I'll be in contact." She says getting in her car and heading off.

As I watch her car drive away I turn towards Ian and let out an excited squeal. "I'm freaking in love with the house." I say excitedly.

"Aubs this house literally screams your name." Ian says as we get into my car.

"I know! Like I've never seen a house and felt absolutely in love with it until this one." I admit. "And Tatum is going to love the pool!"

"Aww we are going to get to watch her learn to swim in that pool." Ian gasps.

I smile at the thought of my baby girl getting to grow up in that house. Of course it then floats to all the dreams I had of Cody and I raising her. It still hurts everyday knowing I wasn't good enough for him.

"Cody is going to hate that's it's not that close to him." I sigh.

"So?" Ian shrugged. "It's better than being all the way across the country!"

"That's true." I admit as I start the car up. Heading back towards downtown LA I drop Ian off at his apartment before making the drive to Cody's.

I texted him before hand letting him know I was on my way but never got a response. Getting to the house I walk up to the front door and knock on it. Moments later Chris appears.

"Bree hey, I didn't know you where coming." He says opening he door for me to walk in.

"Just here to pick up Tatum." I shrug. "Cody never answered my text."

Chris smiles and nods. "Yea let me show you why." He lead me through the house and into the living room where I found Cody and Tatum cuddled up on the couch with Frozen playing. "This happens a lot when she's here. They wear each other out."

I couldn't help but smile at the sight, it was extremely adorable. But it was also one that made my heart clench. "She's a handful that's for sure. She definitely got his energy."

"Bree, Cody misses you?" Chris' comment made me turn my head towards him in confusion. "He still beats himself up over it daily."

I sigh and run a hand through my hair. "I'm sure he does. But he messed up Chris. Big time."

"Just let him explain please, he at least deserves that." And with those last words Chris walked leaving me to wake my sleeping child and ex.

"Cody. Hey Cody." I whisper shaking his shoulder. I guess I could handle this situation now.

Cody's eyes slowly peel open as he looks around clueless. He goes to wake Tatum but I shake my head. "No let her sleep, lets talk." I whisper.

His eyes widen before he quickly shakes his head and slips out from under Tatum. "Here we can talk in my room, follow me." He leads me down the hallway I'm guessing towards his room.

When we walk past a room with the door open I see Chris who winks at me and makes me shake my head with a small smile. Reaching the end of the hallway Cody opens the last door leading into his room. It was just how I pictured it, navy walls, a white comforter with navy sheets and pictures of his family and him and Tatum all around.

One picture in particular catches my eye, it was one from the day Tatum was born, I was holding her in my arms while Cody stood over my shoulder staring down at us. I reach out and grab the picture reminiscing on the day. "That was the best day of my life." Cody says making me turn to him.

I smile and nod. "Me too."

Cody sighed as he took a seat on the bed. "Look I know I fucked up Bre. I'm reminded daily about that. I know being drunk is no excuse my Aubrey I was blacked out, I don't remember a single thing. The last I remembered from that night was seeing her across the bar. Then the next morning I woke up in her apartment."

I had pushed that night out of my mind so many times and still every time it is brought up it hurts. "I just... why were you going to meet her for lunch after you had already cheated? Where you planning to do it again?" I just straight to a conclusion that had been in my mind for years now.

Cody shook his head fiercely. "No god no. I was meeting her to beg her to stay quite. I couldn't stand myself Aubrey, I couldn't stand what I did to you and our family."

"You don't think I know that Aubs." Cody groaned hiding his face in his hands. "I was drunk, blacked out. I don't know what I was thinking in that moment but what I do know is the second I woke up I felt like shit. Like a disappointment and that's a feeling I've have for the last three years. God do you know how many times I've contemplated giving it all up, leaving LA and going to Florida just to beg you for another chance? Chris has had to talk me down off the ledge of that to many times to count. I just, I'm always wondering if there's a chance for us still. I miss my best friend."

My heart wrenches at the sight in front of me. Cody crying and hiding his face in his hands. I took a deep breath and laid my hand on his back making him look up at me. His blood shot eyes broke my heart.

"When it first happened I hated you, god did I hate you. And I hated Sabrina, well I still hate her. But the second I laid eyes on our green eyed baby I couldn't hate you forever. You gave me the biggest blessing in my life." By now he was looking up at me with wide eyes. "But it still hurts. Everyday Cody. I think what hurt the most is you were my best friend before this. Every time something good or bad happened in my life YOU were the first person I wanted to call but I couldn't because you chose to break my trust, and after everything I had already been through, everything you helped me with, you still did it." My voice was soft and I'm surprised I even got the words out.

"Aubrey please tell me what I can do to earn it back." He begged.

I shake my head looking up at the ceiling trying not to cry. "I don't know if you can Cody." I whisper.

"I need my best friend back Aubs, it's killing me." His voice cracked and it was in that moment I saw how broken he was. How for the past 3 years it's been nothing but fake smiles and laughs durning post game interviews and family picture.

We all make mistakes, don't let that be the reason you give up on someone. The words rang through my head as I thought back to the sermon I heard in church not even a month ago. "Then you've got me, but only as a friend." Cody looked over at me confused. "We all make mistakes, and I've let your mistakes ruin the best friendship I had. I miss it too, I need it back in my."

In a second Cody's arms are wrapped around me and squeezing me tight. "You won't regret this Bre."

I pull back from his arms and look him in the eyes. "We are strictly friends Cody. I still don't trust you, and I'm not sure if I ever will but it's a start." Cody just nods with a stupid smile on his lips.