The Ultimatum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Excuse me? What the fuck did you just say?"

Lorelei rolled her eyes as Happy took a menacing step in her direction, the fury obvious on his face. "I said that I'm the cleaner."

She held her ground when he stooped down to get in her face, an evil smirk on his face. "No, you aren't. This fucking deal is done! My old lady isn't going to be getting rid of bodies for SAMCRO. Period." He shook his head. "I can't believe that you are this stupid! Don't you get that you could do serious time for transporting dead bodies from the scene of the crime, even if you didn't kill them? Jesus, Lori, you're fucking smarter than that!"

Tig stepped between them, earning himself a baleful stare from the furious enforcer. "Look, let's all just calm down, okay? She's very careful, man. She's never even been stopped while transporting."

Happy looked at him disbelievingly. "There's a fucking first time for everything, Tig! I can't believe that you let her do this in the first place! She's your best friend!" He shook his head as he pushed Tig out of the way so that he could get back in Lori's face. "I'm telling you right now, you're done with this shit!"

Lorelei put her hands on her hips and stood her ground. "Or what?"

Happy laughed but it in no way sounded joyful. "Or we're through, that's what! My old lady isn't going to be involved in this shit! What's it going to be, Lori? Me or this job?"

Lorelei shook her head, trying to hold the tears back. "The job. I have no choice. I need the money, Hap. You have to understand."

Happy shook his head and stepped back. "I understand that having your way is more important than bending to what your old man wants." He held up both hands before turning for the door. "Fine. Have it your way. We're done."

He slammed the door on his way out and seconds later they heard his bike start up. Lorelei let a sob out as she doubled over holding her stomach. Tig grabbed her and held her against his chest, rubbing her hair as she sobbed. 

"Let me go talk to him, babe. I'm sure he's just pissed right now. Once he calms down... "

Lorelei cut him off, shaking her head and swiping at her eyes as she stepped back, breaking his hold around her. "No. He wants it this way, that's how it'll be. I'm gonna run home and grab a couple more barrels."

He nodded. "Okay. I'm gonna head back to the clubhouse, see if I can calm him down some. I'm telling ya, Lei, just let him calm down."

She just shook her head and walked out the door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tig reached the clubhouse a few minutes behind Happy and walked in as all hell was breaking loose. Happy was in Clay's face, screaming.

"I want this contract with Lori broken! What the fuck were you all thinking? She could do serious time if caught, Clay!"

Clay shook his head as Happy backed up a step, running his hand over his head. "Look, that's why she's perfect for the job. Nobody would suspect the town librarian of transporting and disposing of bodies, brother. I'm not breaking this contract. You're just going to have to wrap your brain around it and get right with it."

Happy shook his head and turned to go to the bar, but saw Tig standing behind him. Before he could even move, Tig clocked him in the jaw, bringing the big man to his knees. Tig took advantage of his position by kicking him in the ribs. "That's for making Lei cry, you son of a bitch! You just threw away the best woman you've ever been with and for what? So you could say that you were right and she was wrong?" Tig shook his head as he kicked Happy again, this time catching him in the stomach. "What, did she get too close and you got scared? The Killa can't love someone, is that it?"

Suddenly, Happy reached out and caught Tig behind the knees, bringing him down to the floor as well. He got a few good punches in as he took out his anger on the other man. "That's what you want, huh? You want her all to yourself, Tig? Is that it?"

Clay let them go at it for a few minutes before he motioned for Jax and Opie to step in and separate them. Tig spit blood in Happy's direction as he pointed a finger at the other man. "You just stay the fuck away from Lei! You've shown her who you really are now. If she's smart, she'll never look in your fucking direction again." 

Happy lunged at Tig again and it took everything Opie and Bobby had to hold him back as Chibs helped Jax drag Tig back to the dorms. Happy shrugged the two men off and grabbed a bottle of Jack Daniels from the bar before stalking out of the clubhouse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Week Later

As Lorelei drove the familiar road to Bakersfield, she couldn't help but think about Happy. She shook her head as she reached over and shook a cigarette out of the pack on the passenger seat and lit it. She knew that he would be angry when he found out, but she really hadn't thought that he would go off as he did. She blew the smoke out along with a bitter chuckle. She should have known that they would derail quickly. She had been happy for the first time in a long time. She'd let herself believe that she could have someone of her own.

She turned into the long driveway and sighed. She hoped today would be a good visit. The last few times had been disastrous all the way around and she prayed that today would be a good day. She parked in the visitor's lot and walked to the entrance, smiling at the receptionist before walking down a long hallway to a set of double French doors that led to the solarium. He was always in there, every time she came, and she saw that today was no different.

She steeled herself for rejection as she kneeled next to the wheelchair. "Hi, daddy. How are you today?"