Apocalyptic

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Open this fucking door right now! You're a dead man, Trager!"

Lorelei rolled her eyes as Happy beat uselessly on the shed door. "Happy! It's soundproof, remember?"

Happy cut her a look before smacking the door one more time for good measure. "The fucker's dead when I see him." He slumped back against the door and looked at Lorelei. "How did he trick you here?"

She shrugged as she turned a bucket upside down to use for a stool. "Dead body. You?"

He nodded as he rolled a toothpick around in his mouth. "Said we needed to clean up. I don't know what the fuck he's thinking with this stunt."

Lorelei sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. "I suppose he thought that if we were locked in here together, we'd have to talk."

Happy shook his head. "Well, the joke's on him because I have no interest in talking to you."

Lorelei rolled her eyes and shot him a dirty look. "Well, the same goes for me, you big... douchebag!"

He leveled a look at her before straightening to his full height, a move that she assumed was supposed to intimidate her. Instead, it just pissed her off more as he pointed a finger at her. "Why bother to talk, Lori? You'd just lie like you have the whole fucking time!"

She sighed and looked down at her shoes. "I haven't lied to you, Hap."

He laughed and shook his head. "Not telling me shit is the same as lying about it, Lori!"

She stood up and threw her hands up in the air. "Fine! What do you want to know? I'll tell you anything you want to know about!"

He stood looking at her with his hands on his hips. "Really?" When she nodded, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Why were you at the hospital yesterday? And don't give me the bullshit you fed Tig."

Lorelei blew out a breath and shrugged. "I thought I was pregnant, but I wasn't. Apparently, it's just stress."

Happy stared at her for a moment before sighing. "I wouldn't have minded if that's why you didn't tell me."

Lorelei snorted. "Of course, you wouldn't, it would have given you a perfect reason to make me quit working for the club, but no, that's not why I didn't tell you."

Happy shook his head. "Why is this fucking job so important to you? Why is it more important than what I think or what I want?" He sighed before rubbing a hand over his head. "You're my old lady, and whether you like it or not, that means that I have a right to know what's going on with you and I get to have a fucking opinion."

Lorelei paced the floor for a minute before sitting back down and looking at him. "Do you know who John Bachman is?"

Happy thought for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, used to be a cleaner but nobody's heard from him in years."

Lorelei nodded. "Yeah, he's my father." He started to speak and she held up a hand. "You want to know everything, right? Let me finish." When he nodded, she continued. "He had a stroke a couple of years ago, which forced him to retire. Then, a few years later, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Now, he's in a facility in Bakersfield." Her lips twisted in a grin. "Obviously, he didn't have a retirement plan and didn't pay into Social Security, so I have to pay the bills and where he is isn't cheap."

Happy nodded. "Okay, I get that, but why didn't you just tell me, little girl? If we're together, your problems are mine too."

Lorelei shrugged as he took a step closer to her. "I'm used to doing things for myself. I've never depended on someone else to help me." She looked at the floor. "You said that I'm your old lady."

Happy nodded as he stooped down in front of her. "Yeah, you are." He moved some hair out of her face so he could see her better. "Look, I know what I said that night, but... I was pissed babe. I thought you had been lying to me all those weeks, and then I started to think that maybe there was more going on between you and Tig than just friendship, so that sent me on a whole different level of pissed."

Lorelei shook her head. "No, there's nothing going on between me and Tig. I mean, we did kiss but... "

"Whoa! When did you kiss Tig?"

Lorelei shrugged. "A while ago. It meant nothing to either of us. He just wanted to make sure that there was no chemistry there and there wasn't."

Happy closed his eyes for a moment before shaking his head. "Okay. Anything else you think I need to know about?"

Lorelei thought for a moment before shaking her head. "No, I think that was all the big stuff."

Happy grinned and stood up before reaching down to pull her up with him. "I do have one question that I really need an answer to." When she looked at him with a frown, he continued. "What do you do with the bodies?"

She grinned and chuckled as he wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her into his chest. "I have a pig farm. I cut them up and feed them to my pigs." She winked at him. "Pigs really will eat anything."

He stared at her in shock for a moment before she felt the chuckle rumbling in his chest. "That's fucking ingenious."

Before she could reply, they heard the locks disengage on the door and Tig stuck his head in. "You two make nice with each other or do I need to leave you a little longer."

Happy shook his head as he took Lorelei's hand and pulled her behind him out into the night. "Nah, we're good." Suddenly, Happy swung, punching Tig in the face and sending the other man down to his knees. "You ever touch Lori again, or even fucking think about it, I'll feed you to her pigs. Am I clear?"

Tig chuckled as he rubbed his jaw and spit blood onto the ground. "Crystal."