Life Is Beautiful

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorelei squeezed Happy's hand as they walked in the care facility in Bakersfield, causing him to look down at her. "You okay, Lori?"

She shrugged. "I just... you need to understand, if dad doesn't speak or he's belligerent, it's... "

He leaned in and kissed her before giving her a nod. "I know, babe. It'll be alright."

They walked past the reception desk, nodding to the woman sitting there as they made their way to the sunroom. Walking in, Lorelei saw her dad sitting in the sun with Maria in a chair beside him, knitting something and talking quietly. When she saw them walking across the room, Maria leaned and spoke quietly to John, who turned in his wheelchair and smiled. Lorelei almost broke down, beyond thankful that today seemed to be a good day for her dad.

Maria stood up and walked to Happy, making Lorelei stare in shock as she leaned up and kissed him on the cheek. "There's my boy! Come, say hello to John."

Lorelei looked from Maria to a smirking Happy. "He's... Happy's your son?"

Maria nodded and chuckled as Lorelei shook her head and wondered about how small the world really was. Happy just shrugged and grinned down at her. "I'm as surprised as you are. I didn't know that mom knew your dad."

Lorelei turned to her dad and leaned over to give him a hug. "Hi, daddy. How are you today?"

Her father kissed her on the cheek and smiled up at her. "I'm doing well, Lorelei. Where's your mother?"

She sighed before glancing at Happy. Turning back to her father, she smiled. "She couldn't come today but said to tell you that she loved you and she'd see you soon." When he nodded, she continued. "I did bring someone for you to meet though. This is Happy Lowman."

Happy stepped forward and held out a hand for the older man to shake. "I'm her old man." 

When Maria winked and smiled at Lorelei, she couldn't help but chuckle. John looked at Happy intently for a moment before shaking his head. "Do I know you? I feel like we've met before."

Happy nodded. "We have, a couple of times."

John just nodded as they all sat down and started to chat about life in general. It wasn't long before both Maria and John were tired and ready for a nap. Happy and Lorelei left and headed back to Charming after promising to come back the next week. 

Later, as they lay twined together in Lorelei's bed, Happy turned his head to look into Lorelei's eyes. "I think we should get married."

Lorelei looked at him in shock before sitting up in bed. "Wait, you what?"

Happy rolled his eyes and sat up, scooting up to sit against the headboard. "I think we should get married. That's what people do."

Lorelei sighed and shook her head. "You haven't even told me that you love me yet."

"Do I have to say it?"

Lorelei looked down her nose at him. "Yes, Happy, you have to say it. At least once."

Happy sighed and crooked a finger at her, making her crawl up the bed and straddle his waist. He took her face in both hands and looked into her eyes. "I love you, Lorelei Bachman. I love the fact that you share my interest in torture devices, I love the fact that you sleep wrapped around me like a koala bear all night, I love that you can look sexy in nothing or a suit, and I'm going to love you until the day I die." He leaned in to kiss her. "I'm never saying all of that again, so I hope you enjoyed it."

She chuckled as he kissed her once more. "Well, I guess as far as love declarations go, that was pretty good."

Happy snorted. "Damn straight it was." She laid her head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around her. "You know, ever since you thought you were pregnant, I haven't been able to get that image out of my mind. I want kids with you."

Lorelei sighed. "Happy, I would love to have kids with you too, but... "

He kissed her again, effectively shutting off her reply. "I know. Why can't I help with the heavy lifting for a few months? That way, we can have a baby and keep your dad taken care of."

Lorelei looked at him with wide eyes. "You'd do that?"

He nodded. "Absolutely. So, we getting married or what?"

Lorelei rolled her eyes, making him growl at her. "I guess we can if it's that important to you."

Happy suddenly rolled, pinning her under him as he stared down at her with a grin. "You haven't said it back."

Lorelei grinned and brought her head up to give him a peck on the lips. "I love you too, Happy Lowman."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the end of Happy and Lori's story. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks for reading and on to the next!

Missy