Chapter 3- Innocent Until Proven Guilty

(A/n: You poor little kitten. *pat pat* Here, have another update with a quick sketchy thing I did this morning. 😊💕)

(Word Count: 1887)

"Bucky..." I had thought that Steve saved him and that he was being helped by the Avengers, but with each loud step he took towards me, I feared I was wrong. Perhaps Hydra had indeed gotten back their Winter Soldier and was trying to get me back as well! "B- Bucky!" I closed my eyes and covered my ears, fearfully calling out his name, praying he might wake up from whatever spell he was put under.

But I screamed as the metal supports of the fire-escape broke and it crashed to the cement ground, where I held myself still, fearful of any sudden attack. But all I heard was silence. I opened my eyes, and I instantly sat up. Though I didn't get very far before I was pulled back down onto the metal. I tugged and tugged, but the scarf was stuck under it and I couldn't pull anymore without choking myself. It wasn't like I had anything to cut it with...

However, a new fear filled me at what I saw in front of me. Blood was spilled all over. Every man that was in the alley was dead. Even... Even Bucky... Their throats looked to be slit open. Terrifyingly enough, I was the one with blood on my hands and jacket. But... I didn't touch them...

I stayed absolutely still as I heard more footsteps coming my way. Who was that? The killer? More Hydra agents? "Yes, this is where we lost track of them. Maybe she couldn't handle this one and Bucky had to cut it short. I wouldn't blame them." It was Steve's voice! He could help!

"St- Steve! Help!" I cried out as I loosened the scarf around my neck so I could breathe straight. His footsteps got more frantic as he ran to the scene.

His eyes widened and I could swear I heard a curse slip through his lips as he slowly walked closer, shield agents following behind him. He ran up to Bucky and I heard a whimper as the soldier couldn't find his friend's pulse. "Buck...?"

I knew that there would be no hope for Bucky being alive, the same for all of those men. It was just impossible for them not to be dead with their wounds. "I... They were Hydra... and he was trying to take me back... I don't know what happened, Steve!" Tears filled my eyes as I had issues explaining the situation, "Bucky was... not Bucky, Steve..."

Steve looked like he was struggling with himself before he said in an emotionless tone, "He would have explained that it was a training exercise made specifically for you... and I doubt he would have forgotten to mention it." He looked at me evenly as he asked slowly, "I'm only going to ask you this once, (Y/n)... Did you, or did you not, kill all of these SHIELD agents?"

My eyes widened once more. Sure I was covered in blood, but did he seriously think that I killed all of these people? "I- I didn't kill anybody. I don't know what happened. Please, believe me. I swear I didn't kill anyone. I-"

"(Y/n)," He interrupted me, with tense eyes, "You were the only one here. I need you to tell me what happened or we're going to have to take you in."

"I..." I stopped in fear. I realized that I didn't really have an answer for him. I was just as confused and as lost as they were. But if I, the person who was covered in blood, had not killed those specially trained agents, then who the hell did? "I don't know what happened," I repeated quietly, unsure if I should even trust myself at the moment.

But as soon as Steve moved in on me, I flinched back, tugging desperately on the scarf that wasn't coming loose any time soon. He said swiftly, "Calm down, (Y/n). We're just taking you back to Headquarters." I watched anxiously as they cut the scarf at the bottom where it was stuck. I was tempted to run, if not for the voice in my head that told me to go with them. And for whatever reason, I dared not disagree with that voice.