ponyboy curtis

[THIS IS AN OLD IMAGINE I MADE A LONG TIME AGO THAT I NEVER POSTED]

(IT MIGHT SUCK)

I tapped my pencil rapidly against my notebook, stress washing over me in intense waves. I had missed so much school and I really needed to catch up. 

I had missed school due to the deaths of Dallas Winston and Johnny Cade. What choice did I have? There was no way I was going to be able to focus when the only thoughts running through my mind were my best friends and the horrifying fact that I'd never get to see them again. 

I dropped my pencil, my fingers tangling themselves in my hair. I tugged on my hair, letting my head fall onto my desk. I needed to focus. I was already so behind. I can't fail, I have so much planned for my future and it's all riding on my grades.

My home life hadn't helped my case at all. My mom was constantly telling me off for being stressed and not getting my work done. She practically shoved success down my throat, always telling me I had to succeed. I had to have perfect grades and be the top student in my classes.

I tried to push all of my thoughts away, all of them becoming more overwhelming by the second. 

Just write this paper.

I stared blankly at the paper, looking for at least an ounce of motivation that could allow me to easily get this assignment out of the way like I used to before everything happened. 

My gaze was torn away from the paper when my door swung open. 

Oh great.

I stared at my mom standing in the doorway, waiting for the worst to come.

"Still haven't written anything?" She asked. The tone of her voice displayed her disappointment in me.

"No." I uttered, not having the courage to explain myself. I bit the inside of my cheek, a nervous habit of mine. 

All of the sudden I was pulled out of my chair by the collar of my shirt. 

"Do you know how much your grades have already dropped due to you being absent?" She growled. I nodded, avoiding eye contact. 

"I'm sorry, it's just I really miss Dal and Johnny-" She cut me off with a smack to the face. She let go of the collar of my shirt, causing me to stumble back. My hand went to my face, looking up at her.

"You're wasting your time, mourning over those... Those fools. Dallas Winston was a good for nothing hood, it was only a matter of time until he got himself killed and we all knew that. And Johnny Cade was too weak to even defend himself. It's no surprise he ended up killed." She spat. My eyes widened at her words. How dare she speak that way about them? 

I knew that fighting back would get me nowhere. I looked down at my feet, keeping a blank expression.

"Sorry." I muttered.