darry curtis

prompt 9: "don't do this Y/n

prompt 9: "don't do this Y/n. You'll only damage yourself further."

"Y/n, you need to take a break." Darry watched you hurriedly write things down and couldn't help but pity you.

"I have to plan these funerals, Darry. I'll be okay once I finish." You clenched your fist tightly around the pen you were using for writing.

"You shouldn't overwork yourself like this, especially since you miss em so much-"

"I shouldn't overwork myself? You're one to talk." You scoffed and didn't face the man still leaning against the doorway. The feeling of his gaze burning into the back of your head was enough.

"That's different and you know it."

"Is it really different? Please, enlighten me." You spun around now, your tired eyes meeting Darry's stressed ones.

"Dally and Johnny wouldn't have wanted you to go through all this just to plan the funerals-"

"You don't get to tell me what they would want! They're dead a-and it doesn't even matter! Let me do this!" You yelled in anger, slamming your fists against the table. Darry flinched. You had always been a calm presence. You never broke under pressure.

If you had cracked under the pressure now, it was clear that you were really hurting.

Then, you did the unthinkable.

You started crying.

Not just crying, but full on sobbing. You never did this in front of the gang.

You were secretly thankful that only Darry was around. The rest of the gang would've been shocked to see a tough girl like you breaking down.

"Y/n..." Darry slowly approached you as if you were a wild animal. It was like he didn't want to startle you with any sudden movements.

He slowly and carefully wrapped you in a hug and you sank into his embrace, shaking violently. For one moment you had let your guard down.

"I-I can do it, I swear. I can finish planning the funerals, I'm okay-"

"Don't do this, Y/n. You'll only damage yourself further."

"But I can't just leave a job unfinished." Your voice still shook and he hated to hear you speak in such a wrecked way. He couldn't blame you, though. Two of your closest friends had just died and you had to go through the torture of singlehandedly planning their funerals.

What a slap to the face, right?

Darry saw himself in the way you wanted to take the problem on and power through no matter how much it hurt. You always silently took your problems and never reached out for help. You had always been so busy helping everyone else that you never had the time to help yourself.

Darry saw himself and he didn't like what he saw. Was this what everyone else thought about Darry when he too forced himself to grow up too fast and go through everything alone?

He had always been able to read you like a book. It was never hard. That was because of how many similarities you shared. It's hard to hide something when you're almost identical to someone, isn't it?

"I can't believe I grew up. I had hardly noticed until now. That's what's tragedy will do though, huh?" You mumbled. Darry softly rocked back and forth with you in his arms still.

"Sometimes situations will make you grow up quicker than you want to."

"I wish we could be kids again."

"Me too, Y/n."