t h i r t e e n

Biting my lips, I deepened my frown as I tried to move my fingers as quickly as possible. My eyes were concentrated on the screen before me, the bright light flashing in my face multiple times as I clenched my jaw and when the sound of losing chimed from the speakers, I threw my controller away from me and huffed. Juliette, beside me, giggles uncomfortably before she got on her own two feet and danced around me, calling me a loser.

"I let you win," I mumbled under my breath as I helped myself up on my own two feet and stretched, mentally thanking the painkillers and my fast recovery.

Juliette laughed. "I'm sure you did, Tori."

I stuck my tongue out at her childishly before waking over towards the kitchen where Noah had been working. He had a pair of glasses perched on his nose bridge, his sleeves rolled up as he concentrated on the document in front of him with a lip bite. I tilted my head and lifted the pair of black headphones he had been wearing, earning a flinch from him. He glanced up at me and sighed heavily. "Sorry, didn't see you."

I waved it off. "What are you working on?" I slid into the seat beside Noah, my eyes assessing the messy situation before him.

Noah shrugged. "The advertising team needs a couple to model the bras and underwear for the upcoming launch and we can't seem to find the perfect couple. To add a cherry on top, one of the major companies are holding a charity ball tomorrow night and insisted I attend."

I nodded slowly. "We should do it."

Noah was taken aback by my words. "Which one?"

I smiled. "Both."

He raised a brow in confusion. "What do you mean?"

I sighed, wondering why a man's brain worked so slow. "Well, they need a couple, right? We can do it and besides, it'll be really good for publicity and we need more exposure. And for the charity ball, we can attend so we can make more business ties."

Noah studied me for a second or two. "I guess that could work."

I chuckled. "It will work, Noah. Besides, I heard from Karlo that the other families don't think this relationship is legit so we should do the cover shoot and attend balls."

Noah nodded, running a hand over his face in exhaustion. "The shipment of the drugs that I requested hasn't come in yet and it's due by tomorrow night. Do you think your men will be able to help Javier with the security? Half of my men are completing tasks and hunting those who broke the omertà."
[Omertà = Mafia's code of silence]

"They will do anything I say." I glanced down at Noah who seemed really exhausted -more exhausted than usual, like worn out- as he told Juliette to go upstairs and brush her teeth in French. He closed the files on the table and placed his glasses on it before looking up at me with a tired smile. My heart fluttered at the sight.

Noah nodded, smiling in gratefulness at what I had just said before he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me onto his lap. I let out a yelp as he tightened his arms around me, as if afraid I was going to be taken from him and buried his face in the nape of my neck. My heart beat slightly began to rev at the warmness that spread throughout my body, my cheeks flushing.

"This is what fiancés do," he mumbled against my bare skin. I gulped, biting my lip as he squeezed tighter. "I'm simply playing the role."