12. "I Remember, Peter."

PETER'S  P.O.V.

How could I be so stupid? How could I leave her alone just like that? I felt rage inside of me, burning like a wild fire. I ran up the stairs and started checking the rooms. I was losing hope, when I saw a room at the end of the corridor.

The door was locked. As I approached it, I heard Katherine babbling inside. Without thinking, I slammed my shoulder right into the door. It flew wide open.

I entered the room and saw Katherine on the bed, unconscious. Bryce was in the middle of taking his shirt off.

I went up to him, looked him in the eye and punched him in the face. He staggered backwards. There was something in me which wasn't letting me control myself. I started punching him vigorously. With each punch, were words. I kept repeating.

"Don't. Touch. Her. Ever. Again."

KATHERINE'S  P.O.V.

The next morning, I woke up in Peter's room. I couldn't remember anything from the previous night. Peter was sleeping on the floor.

"Peter?"

"Huh?" he said, rubbing his eyes.

"Why am I here? I don't... I don't remember anything. What happened yesterday?"

"Nothing happened. We had fun. You don't remember anything because you were crazy drunk. But... you're okay, right?" he asked with uncertainty.

"I'm okay... I guess."

I sat upright on the bed, still trying to remember. I was about to give up, when sudden flashes of memories came back to me. I tried to stop my tears from flowing, but failed.

"Katherine?" Peter looked at me, confused.

"I remember, Peter."

Without saying a word, Peter got up and came up to me. He hugged me tightly.

"I didn't want you to remember. I'm sorry. I was trying to protect you from that horrible memory. I should've been there. I should've never left you alone."

I couldn't say anything. This was too much to take. I returned the hug and kept on crying in silence.

"Shh. It's going to be okay."

"That asshole." I said, still sobbing. "Thank you, Peter. I don't even want to imagine what would've happened if it wasn't for you."

"Katherine, you don't need to thank me. I'll always be here. No matter what." he said, kissing my forehead. "I'm sorry again."

In that moment, I knew I felt something. I knew I had always liked Peter, but I realised it was much more than just that. I had feelings for him, the strong ones. Tears were rolling down my cheeks, falling onto his sweatshirt. I could feel something. Something beautiful. His arms seemed better than home.

PETER'S P.O.V.

It's been a week since the incident at the party. Kat is still coping. She says she's pretty much over it. And if that's true, I'm happy for her.

I don't know why, but recently I've been feeling like she's acting weird. She has been avoiding me. I wonder if I did something wrong.

KATHERINE'S P.O.V.

It's been hard. I feel weird talking to Peter. I'm always scared that I'll say something stupid about me liking him and that'll push him away. Guys hate clingy girls. I don't want that to happen.

"Hey. What are you thinking about?"

"Hey, Kent!" I almost jumped — out of my thoughts and physically too.

"What's on your mind?" he asked.

"Nothing much."

He stared at me — point blank.

"Stop giving me that look."

"Then tell me. What's bothering you? Something is. I can tell."

"I... okay. I... I think..."

"For heaven's sake, Just say it!"

"I think I have feelings for Peter."

"Wait, what?"

"...Yeah."

"Wow."

There was silence.

After a while, Kent spoke up.

"If you like him, why aren't you happy about it? What's the problem?"

"What if he doesn't feel the same way about me? What if my confession jeopardises our friendship? I can't afford to lose him as a friend, just because I wanted us to be something more than that."

"Oh, Kat. If you don't tell him how you feel, you'll just regret it later on. You're overthinking things. Everything will be great!"

"It's easy for you to say. You already know."

"Know what?"

"That Jules likes you back." I said casually.

"She does?! Woah. Wait, how do you know that I like her?"

"Everybody knows. It's written all over your face!" I giggled.

"Great!" he said sarcastically. "But are you really sure that she likes me?"

"Of course. She admitted it to me herself."

Kent started smiling like a crazy person. I had never seen him happier. I was happy for him and everything, but all I could think about at the time was Peter. How does he feel about me? If I confessed, it could change everything. Everything.