chpt 4

The first lesson I taught was Potions, and of course Severus Snape was sitting there the whole time criticizing my teaching methods. I hated the guy- he really rubbed me the wrong way, and that had nothing to do with the fact that Lupin didn't think too highly of him. "Ron you really should be stirring that by now,” I suggested, “And if it doesn't start turning blue in the next few minutes you should look at Hermione's cauldron and throws yours down the sink." I tried to sound angry but I just didn't have it in me to be 'mean', Snape told me that I should be more assertive, obviously believing that his attitude was just so helpful to his students.

Well, no one blew up, although Seamus's brew did spontaneously combust in his face, I was assured by Hermione however that that was perfectly normal. Harry, whom I had managed to avoid for most of the lesson, had looked at me and I hadn't killed anyone so that spoke volumes of my new found control that I had acquired with the presence of my smelly friend. Two weeks passed and nothing happened, in fact I had hardly anything to do at all, I would help out with maybe two lessons a day and then I would spend the rest of my time, marking essays, talking with the ghosts, sitting on the top of the Astronomy Tower and looking out over the grounds.

I hadn't been able to sit calmly in one place in a very long time and for once it was relieving not to have to be on the run. The Ministry posed the most immediate threat at the moment, but my changed appearance would throw them off permanently as long as nothing happened. Voldemort couldn't get inside the school grounds and there was no way that I would go to him, not ever. That only left my father. He was by far the most lethal of my chasers; if he found me it would mean my death, or at least very bad shit would happen. But he wouldn't find me, not anymore, so I could relax. "I was wondering where I would find you today." I smiled, Remus would generally find me at the end of each day, it was like our own routine, but something looked wrong as I turned and looked at him, he looked more haggard and tired. "Are you okay? You're not looking too good." I tried to sound light-hearted but it didn't work, I knew that the full moon was only a few nights away and I hadn't been expecting him to look fabulous this close to it. But he was nice enough not to point that out; he just smiled and said in a low voice, "I'm going to need you to cover for me for a while."  

"Sure that's fine, they're only learning about leprechauns at the moment anyway, aren't they? I can deal with that." I smiled encouragingly, but he just looked down and took a seat next to me. "So what was the subject of your thoughts today?" He asked after a long silence. I smirked and looked out to the forbidden forest, there was a solitary cry from the distant trees and it tugged at the loneliness inside me. "I was just thinking."  He raised an eyebrow and rolled his eyes.

"Really? I would have never guessed," he smiled playfully "Tell me." He nudged at my arm with his shoulder.  

"Stop it before I fall off the tower!" I cried even though I was dextrous enough to know I definitely wouldn't be falling off the tower any time soon. "I was thinking about my father, and what'd happen if he found me here." I wasn't lying I was just withholding parts of the truth from him.

"But that wasn't all, was it." It wasn't a question; he always knew when I was hiding something.  

"No, as usual you’re right- I was also thinking about Voldemort." It was his turn to sigh this time.

"Why do you think about him so much? You shouldn't worry, you’re safe in the grounds and he hasn’t been active in years." No he wasn’t inactive he was in hiding and he wanted me to join him badly- I was scared that I wouldn't be able to say no if he asked me to follow him again. Our betrothal was more than just a promise of words, my father had made a blood promise in return for a peace treaty, but of course I hadn't told Remus that.

The only person I had ever told was Sirius and I had sworn him to secrecy. "I know I shouldn't worry but I can't help it." I stood and stretched out the muscles in my back that had cramped from sitting for so long. "Now, I'm going to go down to dinner, you going to come?" I held out my hand, he took it and we began our descent.