Chpt 10

The holidays went as quickly as they had come and pretty soon we were into term two. The first day back was hectic from the first lesson. I was teaching three lessons today. A History of Magic lesson, Arithmancy and Charms, I would have been covering for Lupin as tonight was full moon, but Snape had volunteered. We were all just too busy trying to merge back into daily life that I didn’t complain. That night I was standing at the clock tower balcony when I heard someone behind me. "Hello." I caught a glimpse of greasy black hair in the corner of my eye and span around, wand in hand, prepared to be attacked. He just looked at me blankly. "I just wanted to apologise for my behaviour." I faltered, taken aback by Snapes apology. I put my wand back in my robes and stood, shocked. He turned to leave but I reached out and held him back by his arm, "I... You know what I am, you don't need to say sorry and I shouldn't have lost it." He was still facing away from me so I couldn't see his face and his emotions. Instead I stood there my hand on his arm, in silence. He shook my hand off and left me on my own, "That's not why I'm sorry," he whispered as he walked off. Lupin howled in the distance.

While it got closer to dawn I walked down past Peeves who was being yelled at by Filch in the grounds just outside the Forbidden Forest. Hagrid was awake and standing outside his house he was watching the hippogriff hunting along the edge of the trees. "I would watch him carefully if I were you, it's not sunrise yet." He looked over to me and gave a surprised smile at my presence. He called back, "Buckbeak can deal with anythin' tha' lives in the forest. It's the forest tha' should watch out fer 'im." He walked down the steps to give me a hug. He was careful enough not to smush me. "How are you Hagrid?" I asked as he offered me a seat next to him on the steps. "I'm okay. Better than tha' Sirius bloke tha' is, Dumbledore reckons tha' he's on the run again," He looked at me worriedly. "Not tha' I feel sorry fer 'im but no man deserves Azkaban for tha' long." I smiled as I looked down at my feet, after experiencing it for myself I knew for a fact that he was right. "You haven't seen Harry recently have you Hagrid?" He looked surprised and shook his head. "No, sorry I can' say I have, I'll le' yeh know if I do though." He smiled warmly then his face dropped. "He's not done anythin' wrong 'as he?" I laughed.

"No he hasn't, I just wanted to ask him something that's all." I sighed and stood as I saw Remus walk over the hill looking as if he had been pulled backwards through a backwards bush- or had just changed back into a human, either one. He faltered and I saw in slow motion as he fell, I rushed over to help him up.  I lifted him up wordlessly he thanked me and leant heavily on my shoulder. "Ran… into... dementors on... my way...back." He spoke in short huffs of breath and he was icy cold. Hagrid was still sitting on the steps and I stood so he couldn't see Lupin's face. "I'll help you get up to your room and then we need to talk." He nodded, his breathing had become more regular and there was some colour in his cheeks again. We limped the way up to the castle and past the few people that were up. I cast a disillusionment spell over us so we weren't seen by any early risers. By the end of our walk Remus was pretty much walking on his own. I helped him into a seat and passed him his Wolfsbane potion, it didn't stop him from changing but it did help. I told him about my conversation with Snape and he too thought it strange. "What I don't understand is why he's sorry if he isn't sorry for your... accident." He said the last word carefully as someone knocked on the door; I stood from my chair and opened the door. On the other side there was a frightened looking first year quivering in front of me. "Um... Professor Snape told me that you need to teach his classes today." She stood there for a while until I asked her, "Could you tell him that I will be in the Potions room shortly?" I put on a sweet voice to try and calm her and for some reason she looked down at her feet and I could see her face turn red under her mousy brown hair. "I'm sorry Professor, but he told me that he wants you to teach his Defence Against the Dark Arts classes and that you should meet him in the classroom for that subject." She looked up at me and I thought she was going to burst into tears. "Alright, thank you dear." She turned to leave. "Wait," I called after her, "what house are you in?" I asked.

She turned, "Ravenclaw, Professor."

"Then I think you just earned five points for Ravenclaw. Go on to breakfast." She smiled and her face shone with pride. "Thank you professor." She said and she was gone. I turned and almost ran straight into an impressed looking Lupin in the doorway. "That was well handled Robyn. What was it that she wanted?" he asked.

"She had a message from Severus, apparently I am teaching your class today."