chpt 18

The next day when I woke up I was lying in Sirius' arms, I moved silently and got up out of bed and dressed in the silence of early dawn. Just before I left, I walked to the bed and looked at the only man I had ever loved; I moved a piece of his hair out of his face and kissed his brow gently trying not to wake him. He smiled in his sleep and rolled over as I walked to the door and opened it, "See you soon love." I turned like a child caught with a hand in the cookie jar.
"See you soon, stay away from the dementors. I love you." I walked through the door back to school.

"Albus, I apologize for jumping out the window and running off, can I have my job back? I swear it won't happen again." I was pretty much begging for my job but I would do anything to help Sirius even if I had to work under Filch. Dumbledore had stood there while I appealed to him for my job with an unreadable expression on his face. Suddenly he broke into infectious laughter; unfortunately I just couldn't bring myself to even smile. He eventually stopped laughing, "Why would I fire a person doing such a good job of teaching, you never lost your job and even if you hadn't come back I would have sent people to find you and ask you to return." He patted me on the back, "I meant what I said to Minerva you are one of our greatest allies." He smiled encouragingly and I was about to speak when I smelt dog. "Remus is outside do you mind if I hide in your library, I can't see him until I'm ready." I whispered, he took a moment to respond then he nodded and gestured around the corner while calling "Come in Remus." I heard the door creak open just as I turned the corner.
"Albus. I was wondering if there had been any word about Robyn. I can't help but blame myself for her leaving the school." He sounded sad and I felt bad that I'd hurt him.
"She hasn't returned yet that I know of Remus, but I'm sure that you'll be the first person she goes to upon her return." He was lying to cover for me.
"Thank you headmaster, but I think that I may be the last person she wishes to see after the way I reacted the other day. I wouldn't blame her if she never spoke to me again." It hurt me to think that he thought I was angry at him. I wanted so badly to jump around the corner and hug him and say that the fault was all my own but I didn't know how he would react to my sudden appearance. "Well you know that you are welcome to go and look for her if you wish to." Dumbledore's offer was a strange one. What was he playing at? I was standing five feet away and he was telling him to go and look for me. Just then a new voice entered the conversation; the drawl was unmistakably Snape's. "Headmaster the aurors patrolling the area told me to let you know that a large dog was seen yesterday accompanied by some sort of monster. I can only presume that it would be our pitiful excuse for a teaching aid." I was going to punch him. But I guess I couldn't what with me not being here and all. To my surprise it was not Dumbledore that stood up for me, "Severus could you please stop it, she's been through more than you could ever know. You should take great care or I will have to personally chew your leg off." My heart swelled with love for my wolfy friend and I had made my mind that I would definitely be repaying him for this. "I agree Severus," Dumbledore toned in, "where I will not bite off any of your ligaments I do think you should show a little more respect. Thank you for bringing the message." It was an unmistakable dismissal and I could hear the floorboards creak as he left the room and shut the oak door. "You think it was her?" Remus asked. I took it as my cue to speak. As I turned the corner I spoke, "Yeah it was." Remus looked like he was going to cry and Dumbledore had that mysterious little glint in his eye that drove me insane. "I'm sorry I didn't ..." but Remus was already squeezing the air from my lungs in a crushing embrace. When he finally let go there was no need for words, we both knew that nothing more needed to be said, we were both sorry for our harsh words and actions sufficed. Dumbledore broke the silence. "So now that we know it was you the only piece of the mystery to solve is what or who was the dog?" Remus looked troubled at the headmasters' question.
"Was it him?" He asked me dubiously aware that Dumbledore might not be aware of my relationship with Sirius. I thought that I should just be blunt about it. "It was him." Remus frowned,
"Then he has come for Harry?" He asked.
I sighed. "No. Sirius was never after Harry, he wanted merely to avenge Harrys' parents' deaths." Dumbledore laughed, it made me jump as I had forgotten that he was in the room. I turned to him and was going to explain but here was a knowing look in his eye that told me nothing more needed to be said. So I turned back to Remus. "I last saw him in the Shrieking Shack but he told me he was going to go back into hiding, he won't risk it again until he has a clear shot at redemption." 
"That's good then." Lupin replied. There was a rather long silence that was made uncomfortable by the presence of the headmaster, until I broke it.
"Remus?"
"Yes?"
"I'd prefer it that you didn't chew Severus's leg off,"
"Okay then, I suppose that I won't." We smiled.