8- 3AM Calls

Y/N's P.O.V.

I shot up, my whole body shaking as I tried to calm my breathing. I shook off the nightmare and my phone began ringing.

"Who the Hell is calling me in the middle of the night?" I mumbled, grabbing my phone and seeing Diego's caller ID.
He insisted to be put down as "Hot Stuff 😍".
"Diego, how lovely to hear from you so late at night." I sighed, answering the call.

"Actually, it's 3 in the morning." He corrected.

"What do you want?" I asked, too tired to be dealing with this.

"I was- Uh, I- I was..." He stuttered and I smiled unconsciously.

"It's not often you get nervous talking to me. Think about it and take your time." I heard him take a deep breath.

"Can you meet- meet me? Outside the academy?" He asked quietly and worry grew in my chest.

"Is everything okay? Are you okay?" I asked, slipping out of bed and putting my phone on speaker, so I could get dressed.

"I- yeah. I know it's late. I just want to- to talk to you." He said and I frowned.

"I'll be there in 10 minutes. Are you sure you're okay? You sound nervous." I pulled on my shoes.

"I'm fine." He said and I sighed. I hung up the phone and put it in my pocket, grabbing my keys as I left my apartment.
I lied when I said I'd be 10 minutes.
I was outside the Academy in under 5 minutes, worried about Diego.

"Hey, what's up? You worried me, calling me like that." I sighed, getting off of my motorbike and putting my helmet down on the seat.
I wasn't sure why, but I walked over and hugged him.
"Don't scare me like that."

"S-Sorry." He said in a whisper and I frowned.

"Has something happened? I know I went too far yesterday with the whole Luther thing, but-"

"I want to show you something." He said suddenly and held his hand out. I looked at him in surprise. Of course I'd held his hand before, but that was mostly for show. I laced my fingers with his and he guided me to the side of the building, where there was a ladder. He went up first and I followed, curiously.
When we made it to the roof, my eyes widened in awe.

"Dee, this is amazing." I whispered, looking around. There was a blanket on one area of the roof, next to a cooler and you could see over the tops of many buildings.

"So- So are you." He said shyly and I looked at him in surprise.
"I heard your conversation, the one with Five." I felt my stomach drop and I looked down to the ground.

"Sorry you had to." I laughed dryly.
"That got sappy way too fast. I-" He cut me off by taking my hand and pulling me over to the blanket, both of us sitting down.

"Do you know why I like being with you?" He asked, gaining confidence. I shook my head, no.
"I don't care where you're from, if your family is made of heroes, villains or don't even exist. I like being with you, I like you, because you're special. You- you don't have powers, but you are still the strongest woman I've ever met. You're beautiful, kind and-"

"Diego, stop it." I said quietly.

"No." He said stubbornly.

"Why?" I could feel tears coming to my eyes and I was tired of having my emotions thrown around.

"Because I lost the bet." He said and my eyes widened.
"I lost it a while ago, but I couldn't- I was scared to tell you."

"You thought I'd leave." I whispered and he nodded.

"Hearing you talk about yourself like that, it hurt. I-I love you, Y/N L/N and I don't want you to- to leave me." I could hear my heart beating loud and fast and he looked at me with pleading eyes.

"I don't think I would leave if you asked me to." I replied and before I knew it, Diego moved forward, connecting our lips. His hand was warm against my neck as he tried to pull me closer.
We'd kissed before, but it was never anything like this. This was slow and full of passion, in comparison to the usual hungry kiss we usually shared.

"Y/N," Diego breathed against my lips and I opened my eyes, looking at him.
"Will you be my girlfriend and go on a date with me?"

"Yes." I said and he grinned, pulling me into his lap and kissing me again.